Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Fermi Power Management Is A W.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Fermi Power Management Is A W.I.P.

Phoronix: Nouveau Fermi Power Management Is A W.I.P.

After reading yesterday's the state of Radeon power management article, for those wondering about the Nouveau driver power management, here's a brief update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

User support

I remember a while back there was a pledge drive to try to organise money for paying for Nouveau's development which attracted a lot of people. I wonder if something similar couldn't be done again, but via one of the large Linux companies (RedHat, even Canonical?) to try to raise the money to e.g. hire someone to work on Nouveau full-time for a year. Of course you would need to raise a bit more (at the time 1350 people plegded at least $10), and ideally they should put in the money up-front rather than just promising, but I don't think it would be hopeless, and it might do Nouveau some good.

Comment

Originally posted by michael-vb View Post
      I remember a while back there was a pledge drive to try to organise money for paying for Nouveau's development which attracted a lot of people. I wonder if something similar couldn't be done again, but via one of the large Linux companies (RedHat, even Canonical?) to try to raise the money to e.g. hire someone to work on Nouveau full-time for a year. Of course you would need to raise a bit more (at the time 1350 people plegded at least $10), and ideally they should put in the money up-front rather than just promising, but I don't think it would be hopeless, and it might do Nouveau some good.
      Excuse me, for me not to agree with you. I don't think that this, community doing nvidia driver for free is a good thing. It is a constant catchup in the best case, and not doing things right
      (fire the chip) in worst case. I think community should stick around for AMD and Intel GPUs, at least there is somebody saying "Nah, you are doing this wrong"(like Alex Deucher, in the recent code for HDMI audio over Evergreen). Only basic 2D for nvidia with FOSS driver.
      I wouldn't donate for nvidia, but will for Radeon.

Comment

Those people would use their money better by "donating" to AMD by buying a Radeon card. AMD is already paying developers to write free drivers for their cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
          Those people would use their money better by "donating" to AMD by buying a Radeon card. AMD is already paying developers to write free drivers for their cards.
          I know you are really right there, but there is still something inspiring about the Nouveau project. (And of course there are people who end up with nVidia hardware accidentally, or on a company laptop or whatever. Granted, those people probably don't need the fastest 3D, but good support for the card is very nice.)
          Last edited by michael-vb; 09 December 2011, 04:54 AM. Reason: Closing bracket

Comment

Such a shame that vdpau can't be implemented in nouveau, though. That's one of the biggest draws of low power cards like the ones with fermi.

Comment

Originally posted by michael-vb View Post

I also think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                I just got done "donating" to nVidia again. Maybe I never gave ATI/AMD or whoever they are today a fair enough chance but nVidia has always worked better for me in Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X