Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment Is Enlightening Wayland

Phoronix: Enlightenment Is Enlightening Wayland

The Enlightenment project has made significant progress in making their key libraries compatible with the Wayland Display Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sweet

I've been using E17 as my main desktop environment for almost a year now. I know it's been in devlopment for over a decade (and may never actually see a "stable" release), but it's still a very impressive DE.

Personally, I think it runs great on top of X11. I don't really see any glaring deficiencies as it is, so I'm not exactly waiting breathlessly for a stable Wayland port. But I'm all for progress, and I'm glad to see the Enlightenment developers doing such good work.

Comment

Is it me or this was really fast. It seem like a month or two that there was no support for it.

Also in the screenshot we can see that the E windows have controls (min max etc). Does this mean that they also implemented the window manager bits or it runs through X???

Props to the devs.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Is it me or this was really fast. It seem like a month or two that there was no support for it.
        indeed, the wayland hack have begun in november. So it has been a 2 months work of 1 coder.

Comment

Originally posted by vtorri View Post
          indeed, the wayland hack have begun in november. So it has been a 2 months work of 1 coder.
          This either means that the dev is really good or that enlightenment is easy to move around different backends.

Since (i think) you are an E dev can you answer the second part of the question (WM)

Also why are you going to (plan at least) use your own compositor ???
          Last edited by 89c51; 13 January 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

EFL Wayland

Actually, development on the Wayland port did not "officially" start until December. The stuff posted in November was just me getting familiar with the Wayland code. I am glad that people are finding interest in this tho

Yes, the EFL libraries like evas, ecore, ecore_evas, and elementary all render in Wayland now using Shared Memory or EGL. With regard to the speed at which this was accomplished ... I will just say, it's been a long road The Enlightenment libraries themselves are known for running on various devices pretty easily due to their modular design. That being said, the Wayland port was no easy task tho mainly due to figuring out how Wayland works manually (sadly, documentation is a bit lacking) but the folks at Wayland have been incredibly helpful in this regard...they always took the time to answer my silly questions and have been very helpful in making this all happen. I look forward to working with them some more !!

With regard to why we are creating our own compositor...in my opinion, the wayland demo compositor (weston) is nice, but it's just that ... a demo, and thus does not provide all the features that we need or want to port the actually E17 window manager to Wayland.

Ohhh, and hi vtorri

Comment

Yes

This either means that the dev is really good or that enlightenment is easy to move around different backends.

Since (i think) you are an E dev can you answer the second part of the question (WM)

Also why are you going to (plan at least) use your own compositor ???
              First take a look at http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Wayland for information on e+wayland

Secondly - yes. compositor is on the plans. Both Wayland client compositing support under x11 (like kwin), and a full stand-alone one.

Comment

Yes - the port is fast

Also in the screenshot we can see that the E windows have controls (min max etc). Does this mean that they also implemented the window manager bits or it runs through X???

Props to the devs.
                Yes - it's fast. EFL is pretty well modularized and layered so it's easy to port like this. The other bonus is that EFL actually complements wayland well. it works and thinks in a similar way.

Comment

Client-side controls

Props to the devs.
                  Yes - we implemented client-side controls as wayland is client-side decorated.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the answers e people

Comment

Working...
                    X