Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D Hierarchical-Z Updated (R600)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gallium3D Hierarchical-Z Updated (R600)

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Hierarchical-Z Updated (R600)

Now that the Radeon R600 tiling patches are done, Jerome Glisse has moved to updating the out-of-tree Hierarchical Z patches for the Radeon HD 2000 through 6000 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes!

It looks like Glisse is working on making r600g a lot faster, as his project.
    I sure hope 8.1 has both these included -- I wonder if 50% up is a reasonable expectation?
    (based on the '20-30%' for 2d tiling, and a wag of similar improvements from HiZ)

Anyhow, is there a git branch somewhere with patches applied?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Hierarchical-Z Updated (R600)

Now that the Radeon R600 tiling patches are done, Jerome Glisse has moved to updating the out-of-tree Hierarchical Z patches for the Radeon HD 2000 through 6000 series...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1NTE
      Just side note, both of my patch are self contains, ie you don't need any other patch, just my 2 patch (one for kernel one for mesa, i don't need a patch for ddx).

Comment

Throwing away pixels that are unneeded on the screen? Ah I see golden times coming.
        Kudos to glisse & the devs @ FOSS driver development.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

If HyperZ on the IGP345M is anything to go by, this will be great. I often referred to this chipset as "the disease" because it was truly awful. HyperZ, however, allowed me to play most of my games at the next resolution up.

Comment

Great! What is the ETA of this feature?
            How is the current state?
            Do we have any benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
              Great! What is the ETA of this feature?
              How is the current state?
              Do we have any benchmarks?
              Please be patient. There is long time for Linux kernel 3.4 and Mesa8.1 to come. Michael soon will show us the present Jerome will give us all

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                Please be patient. There is long time for Linux kernel 3.4 and Mesa8.1 to come.
                Nobody needs to wait 3.4 and 8.1 to test it, also Jerome never told it will be mainlined in the 3.4 merge window (which is unlikely considering patches are floating around since one year).

Even HiZ for R300g isn't still enabled by default (and it will probably never be).
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

ZCULL

I despise ZCULL (NV's name for HiZ), it keeps pretending to "work" yet doesn't improve performance at all (on nv50+ that is) ... probably needs more magic. Or it's all covered up by other bottlenecks.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                    Just side note, both of my patch are self contains, ie you don't need any other patch, just my 2 patch (one for kernel one for mesa, i don't need a patch for ddx).
                    First of all: thank you, you've made my day When do you expect to submit the Mesa patch to Master?

Comment

Working...
                    X