Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical's New Spin: Ubuntu Business Remix

Phoronix: Canonical's New Spin: Ubuntu Business Remix

While Canonical dropped official support for Kubuntu, this morning Mark Shuttleworth announced a new Ubuntu spin: Ubuntu Business Desktop Remix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like the initiative but I have never quite understood why would any company use the word "Remix" in product they try to market. To me at least it looks very unprofessional and downright childish; business isn't good either in this context. I would go with similar naming to SEL and RHEL:
    Ubuntu Enterprise Linux (UEL)
    Ubuntu Enterprise Edition (UEE)
    Ubuntu Enteprise Desktop (UED)
    ...or something like that.

Comment

Shuttleworth is targetting corporate buyers

Can't say I blame him. That's where the money is at. It could turn out to be a good strategy, and I hope it works out for him.

Comment

Is this Unity in a business edition still default DE/WM? Ouch.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Is Debian in danger now?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            I like the initiative but I have never quite understood why would any company use the word "Remix" in product they try to market. To me at least it looks very unprofessional and downright childish; business isn't good either in this context. (...)
            "Remix" is used for unofficial versions of Ubuntu with a different package selection (and/or some other content added). So I assume that means they are just testing this for now...

Comment

Non-Free Software By Default

So Canonical has broken their promise and is now offering a version of Ubuntu with proprietary applications installed by default. I am disappointed but not surprised by their lack of integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                So Canonical has broken their promise and is now offering a version of Ubuntu with proprietary applications installed by default. I am disappointed but not surprised by their lack of integrity.
                Interesting. I didn't know Canonical promised to never ship proprietary software.

Comment

Isn't small business dropping like flies in West?

I think the important areas to get business users would be to supply good accounting programs (which is compatible or can import, with other big name software and have modules for a tax to suit nation), point-of-sales software, desktop-publishing, and a good word-processor.

Comment

gnome 2

Anything with business in the wording would be ill prepared without Gnome2.

Comment

Working...
                    X