Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like To See Out Of Mesa 8.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Like To See Out Of Mesa 8.1?

Phoronix: What Would You Like To See Out Of Mesa 8.1?

With nearly one month having passed since the release of the highly-anticipated Mesa 8.0, where have you come to realize not full satisfaction with this open-source graphics driver library? What would you like to see improved with the next release, Mesa 8.1?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

r300g:
    • Hyper-Z Enabled by default
    • MSAA

Comment

r600g - better power management (runs ~10 degrees hotter than Windows while idling) plus fan speed control.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
        Greater OpenGL 3/4 compatibility. While OpenGL 3.0 / GLSL 1.30 support is basically in place with Mesa 8.0, there's still several newer revisions to OpenGL and the OpenGL Shading Language to be addressed. By Mesa 8.1 it looks like Intel hopes to have a large portion of the OpenGL 3.1 specification covered.
        Saying that there's just several new revisions is really understating things. The differences between GL 3.0 and GL 2.1 were a lot smaller than the differences between GL 3.3 and 3.0, not to mention the differences between 4.2 and 3.0.

GL 3.2 will likely be the hardest revision to implement due to the requirement for an entire new geometry pipeline stage. 4.0 will also be hard, but I have a feeling that the various changes necessary to make plugging in new stages will be done during the GS updates, so hopefully that transition will be easier.

Personally, I'd like to see the DSA extension added to Mesa soon. It's available on both AMD's and NVIDIA's drivers, and it's really nice to have.

Comment

I'd like to see:

1) H.264 decoding implemented and working on r600 and newer hardware.
          2) Significant OpenGL performace improvements on r600 and newer hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            Saying that there's just several new revisions is really understating things. The differences between GL 3.0 and GL 2.1 were a lot smaller than the differences between GL 3.3 and 3.0, not to mention the differences between 4.2 and 3.0.
            No. 3.0-4.2 maybe, but 3.0-3.3 is much smaller.

Comment

+1 power management.

While sitting in meetings my laptop is quite noticeably the loudest (even though we all have the same fleet of laptops) because the fans are running at 100%, even when idling.

Comment

* +1 for HD7000 support
                * Performance >= Catalyst for GL 2.1 ~ 3.3 workloads
                * Stereoscopic 3D support for HD7970
                * BluRay 3D playback support with hardware decoding

Number of rolleyes = increasing levels of sarcasm / doubt that it'll happen (soon / if ever)

Comment

Whatever happened to that DX10/11? Probably the one thing I'm hoping to see emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    No. 3.0-4.2 maybe, but 3.0-3.3 is much smaller.
                    How do you figure? No major architectural features were added in 3.0 that I can recall which weren't already _widely_ available in GL 2.1 drivers. Mostly little stuff, like just mandating the support for FP formats, adding texture arrays, VAOs, and extended FBOs -- all little stuff. Oh, on vertex transformation -- I guess that may have been a big one to implement.

3.1 adds a ton of new buffer types, geometry instancing, and a few other performance-essential features. 3.2 adds geometry shaders, and also fences (which I imagine are tricky to implement). 3.3 is probably the smallest of the 3.x releases (most of what I can remember as being useful in 3.3 are GLSL syntax/feature improvements that should be trivial to implement over 3.2, but there's probably other features I'm not remembering).

Just getting geometry shaders in is going to be a massive undertaking. Proper instancing -- including all the various other features in GL 3.1 you need to actually use instancing effectively -- is also going to be a really big item.

Comment

Working...
                    X