Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gallium3D Now Sort Of Works For OpenCL

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Now Sort Of Works For OpenCL

While AMD is behind the ball on supporting Radeon HD 7000 series hardware, they're finally beginning to catch-up with supporting OpenCL for GPGPU computing on their open-source Linux graphics driver with Gallium3D...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't get it. AMD releases specs in the open, even pays one guy to do the work and still nouveau is the first to implement support? This doesn't quite add up.

Comment

Now if only steam via wine would launch with the open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
        Not sure what your problem is...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I don't get it. AMD releases specs in the open, even pays one guy to do the work and still nouveau is the first to implement support? This doesn't quite add up.
          My impression was that we're talking about different levels of functionality -- Francisco was working on runtime but not using the full compiler stack (shaders were in TGSI IIRC), while Tom was working more on compiler and is running an top-to-bottom stack.

Take that with a grain of salt, but at first glance this milestone is a logical progression from the previous one. It's always tempting to view this as a competition between independent development efforts but I don't think that's actually the case.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            My impression was that we're talking about different levels of functionality -- Francisco was working on runtime but not using the full compiler stack (shaders were in TGSI IIRC), while Tom was working more on compiler and is running an top-to-bottom stack.

Take that with a grain of salt, but at first glance this milestone is a logical progression from the previous one. It's always tempting to view this as a competition between independent development efforts but I don't think that's actually the case.
            Do not forget, he is a paid developer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              Not sure what your problem is...
              I see your running kernel 3.3 did it work on 3.2 too? I'm not really sure, I have a reddwood too, prolly same model 5650...

Comment

I see your running kernel 3.3 did it work on 3.2 too? I'm not really sure, I have a reddwood too, prolly same model 5650...
                I think it did... Kernel shouldn't have that much influence on wine + mesa...

*you're

Comment

It does, and it has been working for quite a few years now...

Comment

If you posted the error, people might be able to point out what you've misconfigured. Steam works though WINE just fine. Make sure you have 32 bit versions of everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X