Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10 To Be Fully Ported To GEGL Core

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10 To Be Fully Ported To GEGL Core

GEGL in GIMP is finally going to be going full-speed. For GIMP 2.10 the open-source imaging program's core will be 100% ported to GEGL, the Generic Graphics Library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You forgot to mention something....

You forgot to mention this: AMD's Paying For Some Open-Source OpenCL Love

This should make for some noticeably better performance, if people have the right graphics cards.

Comment

I think a complete port to GEGL should deserve a release of its own.. A lot of companies would at least consider it important and a big enough feature to give it its own version I think. Perhaps they should consider a 2.10 in 6 months then?

Comment

So is the plan that GEGL replaces Cairo in the future or has it a different purpose than the Cairo library

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          So is the plan that GEGL replaces Cairo in the future or has it a different purpose than the Cairo library
          Cairo is a library for drawing on your screen or another output device (PDF, printer, etc.).

GEGL is a framework for manipulating (raster) images?including support for non-destructive editing, very large images that don't even fit in memory, various bit depths (even mixing them), efficient implementation of filters & effects, etc.

So totally different things...

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
            ok, thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              I think a complete port to GEGL should deserve a release of its own.. A lot of companies would at least consider it important and a big enough feature to give it its own version I think. Perhaps they should consider a 2.10 in 6 months then?
              http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap
              Looks like it will be GEGL, layer masks on layer groups, GSoC projects, and internal work.
              This is the basis for 2.9/2.10, FWIW. But 6 months? I doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                But 6 months? I doubt that.
                http://www.chromecode.com/2011/02/wh...eased-yet.html says: "The second reason is that we develop features directly on the main branch. [...] There is almost always a feature on the main branch that is incomplete. [...] The solution to all our problems is the same. We need to begin developing big features on feature branches and merge them to the main branch when they are ready." So they identified their problems, and if they manage to change their development style accordingly they hopefully can put out releases much faster, and a 2.10 six months after 2.8 doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                  You forgot to mention this: AMD's Paying For Some Open-Source OpenCL Love

This should make for some noticeably better performance, if people have the right graphics cards.
                  GPUs usually provide a significant speedup, but having a multi-core CPU is enough to take advantage of OpenCL.

Comment

Why AMD for Gimp? Please explain

Any reason why AMD should be preferred?

Here an old announcement from the Nvidia developer site: "NVIDIA has chaired the industry working group that defines the OpenCL standard since its inception and shipped the world?s first conformant GPU implementation of OpenCL for both Windows and Linux in June 2009."

I've been using Nvidia cards for many years and I'm very happy with their closed-source drivers - in my systems they simply work(ed). I particularly like the long-term support for old GPUs, so I can continue using my ancient graphics adapters with the latest Linux distro.

I'm going to buy a PC and graphics card this week. Is there any good reason I should lean towards AMD/ATI who have had a less than optimal track record - at first no Linux support, now yes, even open source support, but not for all GPUs, old stuff is not being supported, who knows what the next quirk will be?

I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X