Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Work On The Fermi Scripting Engine

Phoronix: Nouveau Work On The Fermi Scripting Engine

Supreet Pal Singh has provided an in-depth overview of his X.Org EVoC project for providing a Fermi scripting engine for the Nouveau driver that will allow for safe and dynamic GPU core / video memory re-clocking on modern NVIDIA GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i don't understand why we are wasting money on reverse engineering drivers. intel is more than enough for non-gaming. and I doubt linux will ever be a good gaming platform. just look at apple. it lacks many prime titles. and linux is at least 10 years behind in terms of a proper video stack. this is like training canadians in tennis, when we know that their energies will be better spent on hockey.

Comment

sorry for the noob question, but does this have to do with the fact that linux modules become part of the single kernel space blob, whereas in windows or osx there are linked in a different way. windows drivers run in kernel space also, so closed modules' problem with uefi is because the kernel is monolithic or for another reason?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        i don't understand why we are wasting money on reverse engineering drivers. intel is more than enough for non-gaming. and I doubt linux will ever be a good gaming platform. just look at apple. it lacks many prime titles. and linux is at least 10 years behind in terms of a proper video stack. this is like training canadians in tennis, when we know that their energies will be better spent on hockey.
        I'm sorry. Is someone spending your money?

Comment

no its called a sense of empathy. you'd feel bad if a poor man is spending money on wallpaper when the roof is leaking

Comment

no its called a sense of empathy. you'd feel bad if a poor man is spending money on wallpaper when the roof is leaking
            But Intel invests in its own driver. Nvidia does not support Nouveau. Doesn't it make sense for X.Org to do EVoCs for Nouveau more than for Intel?

Or, you think everyone should focus solely on one piece of hardware?

Comment

Hate to tell you...

But games are big business. There is this little company probably few of you have ever heard of ... VALVE.... and they are releasing this thing called ... STEAM... For Linux. There must be some reason they are doing this.

Comment

"But Intel invests in its own driver. Nvidia does not support Nouveau. Doesn't it make sense for X.Org to do EVoCs for Nouveau more than for Intel?"

x.org makes a graphical system. writing drivers is not their job. they are taking funds that could go into making x.org better and paying money to write better drivers.

Comment

"But Intel invests in its own driver. Nvidia does not support Nouveau. Doesn't it make sense for X.Org to do EVoCs for Nouveau more than for Intel?"

x.org makes a graphical system. writing drivers is not their job. they are taking funds that could go into making x.org better and paying money to write better drivers.
                  Oh, goodness me. There's nothing I can do here.

Comment

people who say that funding devs to support a company that has not been FOSS friendly have a point though.

Comment

Working...
                    X