Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Linux Hardware Benchmarks For June

Phoronix: Upcoming Linux Hardware Benchmarks For June

Here's a look at some of the upcoming articles on Phoronix this month, including another large Radeon Linux graphics comparison...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the *BSD benchmarks will have DragonFly BSD included.

I use Adblock and will continue to do so.
    The ads are IN YOUR FACE which I why I block them. If they were simple unobtrusive text-based ads, I would not block them.
    But they make the site slow as hell to load, and makes my browser freeze, makes my CPU temperature go up and the fans sin up and make noise.
    The ads drastically reduce the usefulness of the site and interferes with my browsing and my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The ads drastically reduce the usefulness of the site
      Without these ads, there would be no site.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wine benchmark

A long time ago, you spoke about a Wine benchmark.
        Is it still planned ?

Comment

Originally posted by Congelli501 View Post
          A long time ago, you spoke about a Wine benchmark.
          Is it still planned ?
          Yes, I think Stefan of CodeWeavers was working on some more PTS tests or something though.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            The ads are IN YOUR FACE which I why I block them.
            In the years I've been coming here, I've only seen an intrusive ad *once*. About two weeks ago, an ad window opened on top of the content. So I can't agree with your assessment. I also think you're exaggerating the slowness and heat and such that results from the ads. Though I will admit I block flash (I used to have an extension, now Firefox has built-in "click-to-play" functionality), which possibly has something to do with it, as this does block some ads.

Anyway, to the topic, yeah Wine benchmarks would be cool to see. Preferably with the test including the same game running natively on Windows.

Also, quite important, don't test just Ubuntu Unity. Add idk, Xubuntu/Lubuntu to the mix. Something that's quick to install, but doesn't use a compositor by default.
            Last edited by Gusar; 09 June 2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

using AdBlock isn't the polite thing to do especially if you're not a subscriber.
              I don't think it is justified to criticize AdBlock users. It is certainly not morally wrong to filter the Internet from things you don't want to see.

Of course it would be totally ok for Phoronix to refuse displaying any content to AdBlock users. They are not difficult to detect (and trying to circumvent that would not be ok in my opinion, as would be trying to get past AdBlock).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Without these ads, there would be no site.
                How about using Google AdSense or similar text-based non-intrusive ads?

Comment

ya. ads on your site are obnoxios. the main page has a huge screen filing ad display over top everything, every article has a big flash ad that takes up half of the first paragraph line. things like a small banner ad across the top of your site is pretty simple and doesnt bther me much, but i want to be able to use the site without having to close everyhting first, therefor i will just use a srvice like adblock to cancel out all that crap for me. i dotn use the ads anyway so why would i care to miss out on them. if you took a much more minimalist approach to ads, i dont think people would mind it as much. also if it bothers you so much just host the ads on your own website and the adblockers wont easily be able to block them since they usualy just look for links to known ad servers.

also throwning a bajilion links to your own articles in your articles regardless of how well it even flows with the rest of the article doesnt seem to bother you much, why dont you just go ahead and throw links to al these ads right in your there as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X