Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 12 Web Browser Packs Many Features

Phoronix: Opera 12 Web Browser Packs Many Features

The Norwegian-developed Opera web-browser is now up to version 12 and this latest major release packs many features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Web is open

The web is meant to be open! Time for opera to "get it"!

Opera may be great, but its still irrelevant and have less than 1% market share.
    Proprietary software is an outdated model and the web doesn't need it.

source code or gtfo!

Comment

I might be swearing in chuch here, but a web based on open standards is not the same as being open source

Opera is a great browser and after using Firefox for the last couple of months I might just go back to Opera!

Comment

Opera 12 is still a work in progress, from their blog:

Hardware acceleration allows Opera 12 to render graphics using your graphics card (GPU). This makes animations and other graphics-intensive operations a lot faster. Note that this feature is disabled by default,...

Comment

Opera will get plenty of market the day the go open source. They can decide the licence they want, but still the code must be open source. The day this will happen, I'm sure it will become an important browser. As of today, Opera is a piece of software that does not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by hernil View Post
            Opera is a great browser and after using Firefox for the last couple of months I might just go back to Opera!
            Firefox is better. It has NoScript, AdBlock, Firebug and other awesome extensions!
            Firefox is getting better and better!

Firefox 13 introduced tabs that load on-demand so now Firefox opens very much faster when you have multiple tabs open.
            Firefox 14 will implement opt-in activation for plugins such as Flash and Java which will make it more secure. Also has a very nice URL-autocomplete that feels so much easier and more convenient.

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            Opera will get plenty of market the day the go open source. They can decide the licence they want, but still the code must be open source. The day this will happen, I'm sure it will become an important browser. As of today, Opera is a piece of software that does not exist.
            I agree. I refuse to proprietary software.
            If it were open source, it would be in the repository of all Linux distributions, and some distributions may perhaps even ship it included (as default browser) by default!
            Also as open source, it would develop an active community that would spread it.

@Opera: source or gtfo!
            Last edited by uid313; 14 June 2012, 09:11 AM.

Comment

been using opera about 7 years
              the best browser for me.
              fast and flexible.
              its fast as chrome and has features like firefox and is small to install.
              winning combination for me.
              i dont really care if its closed or open source... if it works for me..im using it.
              also its in the repos of linux mint by default. just not installed out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Firefox is better. It has NoScript, AdBlock, Firebug and other awesome extensions!
                NoScript replacement: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensio...ls/notscripts/
                Adblock equivalent: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensio...opera-adblock/
                Firebug Equivalent: Built-in (http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/)

I agree that Firefox is improving, but so are Opera, Chrome, and every other browser out there. Even IE9 is improving its standards compliance and performance (to the point that I don't shudder as much every time I get a bug report at work that says IE9 in the description; Usually one of our developers has broken standards compliance somewhere).

Comment

Pretty hefty release - I like that. I'll be trying it out on one of my other computers when I get the chance.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Completely opinionated. Opera has extensions that do many of the same things, and Opera's Dragonfly is built-in.

Firefox 13 introduced tabs that load on-demand so now Firefox opens very much faster when you have multiple tabs open.
                  I would like that when starting up a previous session, but would otherwise desperately hate such a feature. I like to switch away from tabs specifically so they will load in the background. It wouldn't surprise me if opera, or chrome for that matter, would have an extension for such a thing.
                  Firefox 14 will implement opt-in activation for plugins such as Flash and Java which will make it more secure. Also has a very nice URL-autocomplete that feels so much easier and more convenient.
                  I forget if Opera has this, but Chrome has had the opt-in activation for years. Chrome's auto-complete is also IMO very well polished. Opera could definitely use some improvement on the URL autocompletion.

I agree. I refuse to proprietary software.
                  If it were open source, it would be in the repository of all Linux distributions, and some distributions may perhaps even ship it included (as default browser) by default!
                  Also as open source, it would develop an active community that would spread it.

@Opera: source or gtfo!
                  It'd be cool if opera were open source but I see no problem in it being closed-source. For a free product that has a great deal of dedicated linux support, I doubt making it open source would really accomplish much because everything Opera doesn't have are the things firefox took forever to get too. Also, the Opera team clearly seems to have some specific goals that a community would probably screw up in some way. Opera has repeatedly proven to be the most innovative browser. Maybe 9 out of 10 features that all browsers use today were started because of Opera, but nobody gives them credit. I'm not saying a community isn't capable of thinking of such things but from what I notice, most open source projects seem to just combine the best features of all products in their category rather than come up with something completely original.

Comment

It'd be cool if opera were open source but I see no problem in it being closed-source. For a free product that has a great deal of dedicated linux support, I doubt making it open source would really accomplish much because everything Opera doesn't have are the things firefox took forever to get too. Also, the Opera team clearly seems to have some specific goals that a community would probably screw up in some way. Opera has repeatedly proven to be the most innovative browser. Maybe 9 out of 10 features that all browsers use today were started because of Opera, but nobody gives them credit. I'm not saying a community isn't capable of thinking of such things but from what I notice, most open source projects seem to just combine the best features of all products in their category rather than come up with something completely original.
                    very well said, they treat us linux users not as 2nd rank citizens so I find it a bit easy to shout go open source instead applaud them for what they do and give us.

also maybe their desktop version is not as much used but do not underestimate their mobile market and their engine used in other hardware like tv's and such, its understandable they don't want to go opensource as that is what makes them their money

Comment

Working...
                    X