Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaris Containers For Linux

Phoronix: Solaris Containers For Linux

Sun Microsystems has announced that they will soon be supporting Solaris Containers for Linux applications. This will make it possible to run Linux applications under Solaris without any modifications to the binary package.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is interesting. Does this also apply for 3D applications? I'm sure there are many of us who would be interested in some benchmarks of different Linux applications under both Linux and Solaris. Wouldn't it be crazy if Solaris ran some of the more popular desktop applications faster than a random popular Linux distro such as Ubuntu or Fedora? If that were the case and Sun continued to polish Solaris to make it more user-friendly, then I'm sure you would see many more people trying out this OS.

Comment

Many people WILL try out Solaris once Project Indiana is out. The first preview comes in October, that is what earlier articles on Phoronix said.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Many people WILL try out Solaris once Project Indiana is out. The first preview comes in October, that is what earlier articles on Phoronix said.
        I have the specific date (well, narrowed down to like three days) but I think that information is embargoed. It is in October unless delays occur.

Then there is a new official Solaris release (update) this month.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have the specific date
          Are you allowed to tell us? I am looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
          X