Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE Desktop 1.4 Offers GNOME2 Improvements

Phoronix: MATE Desktop 1.4 Offers GNOME2 Improvements

MATE Desktop 1.4 has been released for those using this fork of the GNOME2 package set as their desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They badly need GTK3 if they want this project to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      +1

It's good that people who hate Gnome Hell and who were satisfied by Gnome2 have some sort of replacement. But GTK2 is no longer valid. GTK3 is the future + I can't see any reason why they couldn?t make MATE with GTK3.

Also (NO flame please), can somebody explain the advantages of MATE (Gnome2) over XFCE? I never really understood the need for two almost exactly the same looking DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
        +1

It's good that people who hate Gnome Hell and who were satisfied by Gnome2 have some sort of replacement. But GTK2 is no longer valid. GTK3 is the future + I can't see any reason why they couldn?t make MATE with GTK3.

Also (NO flame please), can somebody explain the advantages of MATE (Gnome2) over XFCE? I never really understood the need for two almost exactly the same looking DEs.
        I also agree, with both points. Based on what I've noticed, XFCE at this point has pretty much obsoleted gnome2. Which brings me back to the point I always make - XFCE is not lightweight!!!! GNOME 2 when it was still the latest was considered a heavyweight DE. Today I'd consider it middleweight, as it does perform significantly worse on crappy hardware compared to LXDE. That being said, while XFCE could be a little more optimized than GNOME 2, it definitely surpassed GNOME in terms of function and features, so it is at least a middleweight DE.

Comment

gnome-session-classic

I just use GNOME 3 with the gnome-session-classic package (it uses gnome-panel instead of gnome-shell) then it looks and behaves pretty much like GNOME 2.

Except that they're now making Nautilus retarded (backspace don't work, directories not sorted before files, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
            The MATE devs realize that, since they have the goal of migrating to GTK3 on their roadmap, althoguh it's on "future release" so no exact version number yet

Right now they seem to be focused on resolving conflicts with gnome, and forking all the gnome projects that were abandoned, as well as general small improvements here and there.

Also, they're pretty lacking in developers right now, so it might take a while for them to migrate to GTK3

+1

As a longtime gnome 2 user, when I was forced to switch to XFCE.. it just didn't feel the same. Sure it was similar, but there are many things that felt "missing" in it. I can't explain very well, and it's been a wihle since I used XFCE, but in general I got the impression that XFCE is like "gnome lite".. it just didn't feel like a "complete" experience, compared to gnome 2. I'm mainly referring to integration, the quality of the applications (thunar vs. nautilus for example), and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
              As a longtime gnome 2 user, when I was forced to switch to XFCE.. it just didn't feel the same. Sure it was similar, but there are many things that felt "missing" in it. I can't explain very well, and it's been a wihle since I used XFCE, but in general I got the impression that XFCE is like "gnome lite".. it just didn't feel like a "complete" experience, compared to gnome 2. I'm mainly referring to integration, the quality of the applications (thunar vs. nautilus for example), and things like that.
              And wouldn't then be better to make XFCE better and reduce these "akward" things rather then waste resources on Gnome2 fork?

Again I do not want to create flame I just want to be convinced that MATE is worth of recommendation to other users. Right now I always recommends XFCE.

Comment

Thunar and xfdesktop are the weakest links when considering Xfce right now. In both of these areas Nautilus remains superior. Other than that though, Xfce generally delivers a better more thought out experience when one forgets about such things as previous usage and nostalgia.

Comment

And wouldn't then be better to make XFCE better and reduce these "akward" things rather then waste resources on Gnome2 fork?

Again I do not want to create flame I just want to be convinced that MATE is worth of recommendation to other users. Right now I always recommends XFCE.
                  same way you like XFCE, some like LXDE, others like KDE, some others want Gnome 3 and a few other prefer MATE...
                  how can someone that likes a certain DE waste resorces?
                  Last edited by solo2101; 31 July 2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

+1

oh that is easy... gnome 2 is gtk2, and a lot of people like it... take the name add MATE and you have the same thing that you had before.... why reinvent the wheel?

Comment

Working...
                    X