Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Developers Work Out Plans For Time-Based Releases

Phoronix: Qt Developers Work Out Plans For Time-Based Releases

Following the Qt 5.0 release, developers of this open-source tool-kit will aim to issue feature updates on a six-month cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

inb4 FUNKstar or w/e he is called comes and trolls here too...

Comment

Time-based released are the most stupid thing to do for projects (except Linux but this is a little bit diffrent, in Linux there is just to much changes to make plan of release). You should release your product when you have something to show and it is working not when calendar is telling you. And fix-releases (like 5.0.x) should be released when you have something to fix (I found big bug in Qt, why I need wait 2 month for next release?).

Comment

I wonder if Nokia are hoping they'll continue to work for free after being laid off?

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewPL View Post
          Time-based released are the most stupid thing to do for projects (except Linux but this is a little bit diffrent, in Linux there is just to much changes to make plan of release). You should release your product when you have something to show and it is working not when calendar is telling you.
          There are two issues that make time-based releases useful:

1. They help downstream plan. Especially for a central component like Qt, knowing when to expect a release will help downstream developers plan their own releases.

2. They makes sure releases actually happen. You are unlikely to get something like Firefox used to be where they once went a year and a half between major releases, not to mention something like MythTV or grub.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewPL View Post
            Time-based released are the most stupid thing to do for projects (except Linux but this is a little bit diffrent, in Linux there is just to much changes to make plan of release). You should release your product when you have something to show and it is working not when calendar is telling you.
            Your comment is the most stupid thing. In distributed source code management systems (like git) every feature is worked on a separate branch and only merged when it's ready. So no calender is telling anyone when a feature is ready.
            Feature-based releases are totally unfair. A feature can be fully completed but an unfinished feature can postpone a release indefinitely.

Comment

Wayland

How is Wayland support shaping up in Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
                I wonder if Nokia are hoping they'll continue to work for free after being laid off?
                Nokia couldn't care less. They don't need it anymore.

Comment

I'm not too fond of time based releases too. Many projects that switched to time based releases have really dropped in stability and increased amount of bugs. The big gorilla in the room is Ubuntu which gets more and more known not-fixed issues in the release notes, but it's released on time cause that's more important then getting it to work right. I hope Qt will not fall down this path.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                    Nokia couldn't care less. They don't need it anymore.
                    True. That is after Nokia decided to dominate the Microsoft phone market rather than the global phone market. Now, according to the rating agencies, Nokia is junk. Let us forget about them and move on.

Comment

Working...
                    X