Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 6.0 Released Bringing Major Changes

Phoronix: NetBSD 6.0 Released Bringing Major Changes

NetBSD 6.0 was officially released today as the fourteenth major release of the BSD operating system. NetBSD 6.0 brings better multi-core SMP support, new drivers, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so what. it's not like many people use linux who are not computer nerds/power users. and please don't say that android is linux or that routers use linux. we are talking about desktop linux distros. it's the same reason- the reason that no-one uses netbsd is not because its obscure but because its not as good as linux.

Comment

stop with the negatives

Personally I find it great that people want to develop alternative unix-like operating systems. I think the world would be a poorer place if the only free unix-like would be GNU/Linux. I have considered trying one of the *BSDs for a long time now. FreeBSD seems to be the one with most interesting experimental features (Especially Clang, Dtrace and ZFS) - but on the other hand NetBSD pkgsrc seems nice... so perhaps DragonFly is a good compromise...

From what I have heard, FUSE should now be able to handle Ext4 so a migration path or simply shared disks between a *BSD and a Linux install might be feasible.

Comment

there is a difference between toy OSes like haiku and debiankfreebsd and freebsd. don't forget that freebsd is very useful for amazing embedded projects like freenas and pfsense. its not just a geek's playtoy hobby project.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Still nobody using it....
          A lot of networking equipment is at least based on it.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            so what. it's not like many people use linux who are not computer nerds/power users. and please don't say that android is linux or that routers use linux. we are talking about desktop linux distros. it's the same reason- the reason that no-one uses netbsd is not because its obscure but because its not as good as linux.
            Why would we be talking about desktop Linux when the topic is NetBSD? It's used primarily on embedded systems where also Linux is extremely popular. Both are used for things they are applicable for and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to only look how they are doing on desktop when it's the least of both projects priorities.

Comment

Working...
            X