Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midori 0.5 Released, Works Towards WebKit2

Phoronix: Midori 0.5 Released, Works Towards WebKit2

The lightweight GTK+ web-browser Midori has seen its v0.5.0 release. Midori 0.5.0 offers up new features for those using this WebKit-powered browser, but more features are on the horizon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lightweight !?

How is midori supposed to be a "lightweight GTK+ web-browser", when just scrolling a webpage takes both of my cores to 80%?
    Repubblica è il quotidiano online aggiornato 24 ore su 24 su politica, cronaca, economia, sport, esteri, spettacoli, musica, cultura, scienza, tecnologia.

Firefox is far better...

Comment

I don't know why they are wasting their time with a Windows port of Midori. It's a dead-end.
      ?WebKit2GTK+ is not supported on Windows. If someone is willing to do
      the work we might consider adding it, but it's not in our plans at the
      moment.?

Comment

Because

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        I don't know why they are wasting their time with a Windows port of Midori. It's a dead-end.
        moment.?
        https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/w...il/024463.html
        Trying to get attention from a bigger market maybe. It's too bad they didn't see the Article today from big name Gartner stating Microsoft's market share is expected to decrease 7% this year; followed by a 14% decrease later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
          Trying to get attention from a bigger market maybe. It's too bad they didn't see the Article today from big name Gartner stating Microsoft's market share is expected to decrease 7% this year; followed by a 14% decrease later.
          You read it wrong. It wasn't to be "followed by a 14% decrease", it was "decrease TO 14%" (by 2017).

Be aware that by their measures, MS is already well below 50%, since the measure is from the perspective of "overall computation equipment", including tablets and phones. They also say something about apple overtaking MS by "the end of the decade". Note that they did NOT say anything about Android, which has *already* overtaken MS.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
            How is midori supposed to be a "lightweight GTK+ web-browser", when just scrolling a webpage takes both of my cores to 80%?
            Repubblica è il quotidiano online aggiornato 24 ore su 24 su politica, cronaca, economia, sport, esteri, spettacoli, musica, cultura, scienza, tecnologia.

Firefox is far better...
            "Lightweight" is not a synonym for performance. It so often happens that lightweight software outperforms heavy software, but that's due to coincidence. Lightweight browsers like Midori and Epiphany are nice for older hardware, but... well, I'm not gonna speak in any more generalizations. Let me just conclude that my PERSONAL experience is that Midori and Epiphany suck. And I'm normally a fan of Xfce, so talking shit about Midori isn't easy for me :P

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            moment.?
            https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/w...il/024463.html
            Midori on Windows is trendy and has some buzz around it. You know, from those people that insist on using alternative software. They were the first ones who jumped ship to Chrome from Firefox, and now that Chrome has become too mainstream for them, they need something else.

For those looking for the Gartner article:

Comment

Midori on Windows never worked for me. Midori on Linux is pretty usable. Especially on older hardware.

Comment

Working...
              X