Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu, KDE Has Little Hope For Ubuntu's Mir

Phoronix: Kubuntu, KDE Has Little Hope For Ubuntu's Mir

Martin Gr??lin, the maintainer of KDE's KWin window manager, has been vocal against Canonical's Mir Display Server from the beginning. He's now written another blog post on the matter in which he makes it rather clear there is little hope of seeing KDE running on the Ubuntu Wayland-competitor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i have little hope for KDE if that developer keeps being the main developer. KDE needs to find a new maintainer

Comment

I applaud this guy. He calls fragmentation - fragmentation and asks Ubuntu to maintain everything if they want to keep control over everything.

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
      i have little hope for KDE if that developer keeps being the main developer. KDE needs to find a new maintainer
      Nope, just Ubuntu needs to find KDE maintainer for own wayland clone. He is not obligated to support every spin-off or clone in the wild. Its opensource.

Comment

this is nothing new really, kde stated from the start that they will not included single distribution specific patches, and to be honest I totally agree with them, the whole thing would become totally unmanageable. Nothing stops ubuntu from adding patches to make it work though.

if Mir becomes a success and other distribution will also start using it then I am sure there will be official support for the display driver.

And no KDE does not need a new developer, Martin does a fine job and its only good practice to avoid single distribution specific patches.

Comment

Unlike Canonical he managed to develop a stable and performant compositing window manager. Still can't use compiz due to years old dual screen bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            I applaud this guy. He calls fragmentation - fragmentation and asks Ubuntu to maintain everything if they want to keep control over everything.

Nope, just Ubuntu needs to find KDE maintainer for own wayland clone. He is not obligated to support every spin-off or clone in the wild. Its opensource.
            I am not talking about his childish whining rant against ubuntu. I am talking about his attitude towards performance and hardware support which he insist to deny.

Comment

There's some hope:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The guy has a KDE t-shirt.

Comment

I am not talking about his childish whining rant against ubuntu. I am talking about his attitude towards performance and hardware support which he insist to deny.
                read his blog I would say, it does not sound like a rant, just a list of issues, from GPL license issues to a none stable protocol.

Comment

The Martin's approach to the Mir problem is pretty rational and logic, so there is no place for stupid speculation and fanboyism.
                  He explains very well that in KDE world, the compositor (Kwin) and the desktop shell are two separated entity. This means that they need to dialog in some way and this way is the so called protocol.
                  One of the most important aspects from Wayland for us is the ability to extend the protocol. This has already been a quite important feature in X and we are using our own extensions over ICCCM and EWMH to implement additional functionality. Of course our workspace has own ideas and it is important for us to be able to ?standardize? those and also make them available to others if they are interested. This is possible thanks to protocol extensions.
                  Mir doesn?t have a real protocol. The ?inner core? is described as ?protocol-agnostic?. This renders a problem to us if we would want to use it. Our architecture is different (as described above) and we need a protocol between the desktop shell and the compositor. If Mir doesn?t provide that we would need to use our own protocol. And that already exists, it is called ?Wayland?. So even if we would support Mir, we would need the Wayland protocol?!? That doesn?t make any sense to me. If we need to run Wayland on top of Mir just to get the features we need, why should we run Mir at all?
                  That is a technical issue, it is not on opinion about the free software philosophy or whatever.
                  Another question that came in my mind is: how can you extend something that is protocol-agnostic without break the compatibility somewhere in the process?
                  The Mir's fanboy can please explain how they think to overcame those problems?
                  Maybe asking to change the KDE architecture in something similar to Mir-Unity (half fusion between compositor and deshtop shell)?
                  LOL.
                  Or maybe agreeing on the Martin's hypothesis:
                  So even if we would support Mir, we would need the Wayland protocol
                  Sounds good?
                  Then why not to jump on the same logical conclusion:
                  If we need to run Wayland on top of Mir just to get the features we need, why should we run Mir at all?
                  ROLF

Comment

I think Martin is more annoyed than anything. He put a lot of work into getting KDE to function with Wayland and was probably relieved about the idea that ditching X was in-view, only to find that he may have completely wasted his time. When Canonical decided "meh wayland isn't that great, we're gonna make our own thing", Martin knows that due to Ubuntu's popularity, Mir may (eventually) gain more attention than wayland and therefore might be the official X replacement. This means Martin is going to have to get all of Mir to work, while still maintaining wayland and X. I don't blame him for having a pessimistic attitude, he didn't ask for this and AFAIK, he's not paid so maintaining 3 graphical servers must be a pain. He has enough work to do with KDE even if you disregard wayland.

I'm sure if Mir came out first, we wouldn't hear Martin complain. He'd probably still point out the flaws he sees in Mir now, but I'm sure he wouldn't be as pessimistic.

Comment

Working...
                    X