Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS 13.05 Brings Automated Tests, Exynos 5

Phoronix: Genode OS 13.05 Brings Automated Tests, Exynos 5

Version 13.05 of the Genode OS Framework is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This project sounds interesting in abstract. I get the impression that this project is targeting servers and workstations. I'm curious to see how an L4-based OS will perform under workstation and server loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
      This project sounds interesting in abstract. I get the impression that this project is targeting servers and workstations. I'm curious to see how an L4-based OS will perform under workstation and server loads.
      No, it is not targeting servers and work station. It is targeting general purpose computers.

Also, It is not technically an L4-based OS though the userland has L4 heritage. It uses a few L4-based Kernels but that is not a dependency. It can use about 12 different platforms including Linux/x86 and Linux/ARM (Added in this release).
      Last edited by jayrulez; 31 May 2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Are there any performance figures on the ARM RISC micro kernel versus the x86 CISC*? I'm curious to see how the IPC compares on an x86 and the ARM. Maybe some raw CPU cycles, locks... Whatever. I'm really not very knowledgeable about this sort of things but I've always had this idea that the x86 instruction set is so high that a low micro kernel only adds another abstraction level to it. But, a micro kernels should preform very VERY well on RISC since this way the job isn't getting replicated. Maybe even out preforming a monolithic kernel.
        Anyhow, it's all very intuitive and not figures based. Just leftovers of some books and wild ideas from another decade... So, if anyone has any papers or benchmarks on the subject...

* Yeah I know it's really a RISC wrapper this days... I don't think it matter in this context since there's still a lot of redundant instruction carried out...

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
          No, it is not targeting servers and work station. It is targeting general purpose computers.

Also, It is not technically an L4-based OS though the userland has L4 heritage. It uses a few L4-based Kernels but that is not a dependency. It can use about 12 different platforms including Linux/x86 and Linux/ARM (Added in this release).
          Thanks for the corrections. This sounds very interesting.

Comment

Working...
          X