Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 13.1 Switching To Ruby-Based YaST

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 13.1 Switching To Ruby-Based YaST

YaST, the SUSE-developed administration and control utility that's original to the German-based Linux distribution, is being rewritten in Ruby for the upcoming openSUSE 13.1 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice maybe it will make porting to other distro easier, hopefully, since all previous YaST port failed from what I know.

Comment

It seems odd that the distro that is pretty much "the kde distro" is using Ruby to rewrite its control center in. I'd figure PySide or just actual C++ Qt (just without the KDE dependencies for their other DE spins) would have made more sense. I guess it would have been more complex to auto-translate yst to those instead of ruby.

I wonder if it will have themeing that matches the rest of the DE now, though.

Comment

opensuse doesn't want to be known as the "kde distro" because they feel it's too exclusive. I personally think they should play to their strength and embrace it.

Anyway, I hope the rewrite makes yast faster. It was a nice tool, but too slow for my liking when I last tried suse

Comment

I recently switched my wife's laptop from Gentoo to OpenSUSE and have been rather impressed. I didn't have time to get Gentoo going on my netbook so I broke my usual habit and stuck OpenSUSE on there too, but with E17. The E17 experience hasn't been nearly as smooth as I'd hoped but I know they're working on it so I'll persevere.

Being a (primarily) Ruby developer, I'm pleasantly surprised by this news. Although Ruby is obviously very popular on the web, I haven't seen it used very much elsewhere but it really is extremely versatile. I use it heavily for VoIP, in conjunction with Asterisk and FreeSWITCH. See the Adhearsion project.

By the way, if you've tried Ruby in the past and are concerned about the startup time, the recently released Ruby 2.0 has massively improved on it. It'll probably never be as fast as Perl or Python but at least it's in the same ball park now.
          Last edited by Chewi; 06 June 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            opensuse doesn't want to be known as the "kde distro" because they feel it's too exclusive.
            That's a shame, because everyone still(and will) refer to them as the "kde distro".

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I recently switched my wife's laptop from Gentoo to OpenSUSE and have been rather impressed. I didn't have time to get Gentoo going on my netbook so I broke my usual habit and stuck OpenSUSE on there too, but with E17. The E17 experience hasn't been nearly as smooth as I'd hoped but I know they're working on it so I'll persevere.

Being a (primarily) Ruby developer, I'm pleasantly surprised by this news. Although Ruby is obviously very popular on the web, I haven't seen it used very much elsewhere but it really is extremely versatile. I use it heavily for VoIP, in conjunction with Asterisk and FreeSWITCH. See the Adhearsion project.

By the way, if you've tried Ruby in the past and are concerned about the startup time, the recently released Ruby 2.0 has massively improved on it. It'll probably never be as fast as Perl or Python but at least it's in the same ball park now.
              Not Perl, but possible faster than Python in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                It seems odd that the distro that is pretty much "the kde distro" is using Ruby to rewrite its control center in. I'd figure PySide or just actual C++ Qt (just without the KDE dependencies for their other DE spins) would have made more sense. I guess it would have been more complex to auto-translate yst to those instead of ruby.

I wonder if it will have themeing that matches the rest of the DE now, though.
                Hmm, i thought that yast was just ported to Qt last year or so. Maybe they're just going to use the Ruby Qt bindings?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Hmm, i thought that yast was just ported to Qt last year or so. Maybe they're just going to use the Ruby Qt bindings?
                  I run 12.3 on some family PCs and it doesn't obey Qt theming or styling, so I'm pretty sure its not Qt based (yet, at least). I'm also curious why they would pick Ruby when I imagine that this makes yast the only Ruby dependency in the KDE Suse iso, where it already has to pack Python and Pyside for a buttload of KDE apps written in Python (including a lot of plasma widgets).

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I run 12.3 on some family PCs and it doesn't obey Qt theming or styling, so I'm pretty sure its not Qt based (yet, at least).
                    A) YaST runs as root, so is would pick up whatever styles root has set.
                    B) Qt applications can overrule system-wide style settings. YaST does that for greenish branding.

Comment

Working...
                    X