Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Brings Their Linux Driver To ARM

Phoronix: NVIDIA Brings Their Linux Driver To ARM

NVIDIA is bringing their 319.xx proprietary graphics driver from Linux to ARM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This article came to my mind: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNTE. Maybe they need to make MIPS port too.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      This article came to my mind: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNTE. Maybe they need to make MIPS port too.
      I still have yet to see that huge order on AMD's SEC filings. ahem

Anyway, this ARM support was needed for Kayla, which was announced a couple months ago:

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        MIPS was recently acquired by Imagination Technologies. The same Imagination Technologies that designs the PowerVR GPU cores...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          ...from Linux to ARM...
          Moronix at its best.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
            Moronix at its best.
            Well at least he didn't link bait us this time.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              MIPS was recently acquired by Imagination Technologies. The same Imagination Technologies that designs the PowerVR GPU cores...
              So that means it'll be a tough sell for nvidia to get its gpu's into those chips

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                So that means it'll be a tough sell for nvidia to get its gpu's into those chips
                Ice to Eskimos tough: Like how AMD licensed ARM, seeing as nVidia is interested in licensing MIPS\ARM, it's a buy, not a sell. Worse, I don't think ImgTec will be even interested in a cross-licensing agreement. They have their own solution so why bother using nVidia's? Similarly ARM has their Mali. No. They'll be asking for cash only. Cash nVidia likely lacks.

Nope. I think nVidia came out drawing the short straw in the RISC market. Maybe even for the last time. When AMD sold off their Raedon IP I thought they were crazy. Now, when nVidia realizes it has no potential buyers, it starting to look as if AMD tried going for cross-licensing with ARM during the negotiations only to learn they had nothing to offer so they dumped their IP on another smaller company that can milk it dry.

And now that Intel is pushing their GPU tech AND AMD cornered the x86 console market... Well, nVidia will probably need to restructure completely around a shrinking(desktop) to non-existing(RISC) markets.
                At this point, nVidia is going into the ARMv8 or MIPS V negotiations as a very desperate buyer. And it's quite possible ARM and MIPS will cartel to push nVidia out.

Comment

^^ This.

I believe that c117152 got it right.
                  I also was thinking along these lines for a long time.
                  NVIDIA is trapped in PC Desktop (doubt that they have any chance even in Notebook market anyway very soon) and that's all they have.

The SteamBox possibly also use a AMD APU or a Intel (depending of performance/price ratio) but i'm almost sure that will be from AMD.

Hey, if it's good for a PS4 or XBone, should be good enough for a SteamBox.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    NVIDIA is trapped in PC Desktop (doubt that they have any chance even in Notebook market anyway very soon) and that's all they have.
                    It's not really "all they have". They have a presence in the mobile market (not as well as Qualcomm of course, but the Nexus 7 was a nice win; Tegra 4 hasn't been much to brag about yet) and are well-versed in the HPC market.

The shrinking desktop space is a real problem, but the console market is essentially worthless.

The SteamBox possibly also use a AMD APU or a Intel (depending of performance/price ratio) but i'm almost sure that will be from AMD.

Hey, if it's good for a PS4 or XBone, should be good enough for a SteamBox.
                    Does AMD even support Linux / OpenGL?

They only figured out what Android was about 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X