Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

Phoronix: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

The pull request for the Radeon DRM graphics driver changes for the Linux 3.11 kernel has been submitted. The open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver changes in this next kernel development cycle include dynamic power management (including ASPM) and support for Radeon HD 8000 "Sea Islands" graphics processors as the most prominent changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see any substantially new information in this article. The title is misleading, it suggests that the new code has been tested and verified to be "fantastic" when in fact it's just repeating that the code has dropped.

Comment

Indeed. I was actually expecting some kind of benchmark.
      Anyway, I am looking forward to 3.11
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Radeon In Linux 3.11 Is Fantastic With PM, Sea Islands

The pull request for the Radeon DRM graphics driver changes for the Linux 3.11 kernel has been submitted. The open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver changes in this next kernel development cycle include dynamic power management (including ASPM) and support for Radeon HD 8000 "Sea Islands" graphics processors as the most prominent changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5ODA
        That will be very nice.

Comment

The is great news for older AMD card owners too, which are only supported by the legacy catalyst driver, which is no longer updated to work with newer X.org,

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
            The is great news for older AMD card owners too, which are only supported by the legacy catalyst driver, which is no longer updated to work with newer X.org,
            It would be great news, if it actually would work. For now, I am still stuck with an overheating laptop and manual powersaving, since the new dpm driver always runs my machine in performance mode. This is something that is to be expected, since this code is largely untested and of course will have problems.
            Have to wait for answer to that problem from a developer in the original thread about this topic, then we will see how great this is.

Comment

165 patches consisting of more than 52 thousand lines of code, just in the drm/radeon subsystem. Linus is going to have a heart attack when he sees that

Comment

R300

Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?

Comment

Originally posted by arianon View Post
                  Does anyone know if the new power management code will also benefit older cards using the r300g driver?
                  I don't think so. The announcement said r600 and up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had something cooking internally, though, just like they do with older UVD chips. So far, AMD have been good about trying to support the whole range of hardware.

Perhaps it's not fully ready yet.

Comment

dynamic memory clock scaling
                    Even with an external monitor?

Comment

Working...
                    X