Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zswap Merged Into The Linux 3.11 Kernel

Phoronix: Zswap Merged Into The Linux 3.11 Kernel

Zswap is a feature for the Linux kernel that provides compressed swap caching. It's been in development for a long time and was finally merged into the mainline Linux kernel for the 3.11 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be a really desirable feature... if it was like a decade ago :P

Comment

and users with SSDs as swap devices can extend their devices life by shortening writes
      Or not. It's not like a TLC-based SSD can't handle several hundreds of TiBs written.

Comment

I can't find any single time in the last few years where my swap have been written a kilobyte. RAM is so cheap nowadays! You could easily load your full linux system into a ramdisk while booting your computer and still have plenty left.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
          I can't find any single time in the last few years where my swap have been written a kilobyte. RAM is so cheap nowadays! You could easily load your full linux system into a ramdisk while booting your computer and still have plenty left.
          And this would be relevant if every Linux system in the world was a recently built desktop. Meanwhile, back in the real world, some of us have different usage scenarios. I, for example, run Arch on an old netbook with an old SSD (I swapped out the HDD because it was clicking and it annoyed me). Minimising swap writes would be good for me on this machine. Whereas I couldn't care less about this on my install on my gaming desktop with 4gb of RAM.

Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Would be a really desirable feature

Last edited by deonddr; 11 July 2013, 04:40 AM.

Comment

True, but you can't extend the phone's memory. Imagine you have FirefoxOS, an Android Phone or things like this. You would really want to benefit if you have your caching "disk" a slow memory card module.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                You would spend money buying RAM for a laptop that isn't yours? (corporate)

I was running linux on a VM, and zram made a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                  You would spend money buying RAM for a laptop that isn't yours? (corporate)

I was running linux on a VM, and zram made a big difference.
                  it says Mobile all over it

Comment

not just for mobile..

Zswap has some uses in the server world as well.

For example, if an unruly VM is thrashing to disk it can affect it neighbors.

Some more info:

Comment

Working...
                    X