Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Is Building A New Triple-A Shooter

Phoronix: Epic Games Is Building A New Triple-A Shooter

Epic Games is working on a new first person shooter that's said to be a triple-A game, but it's not necessarily part of their famed Unreal series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Epic Games can go pound salt.

1) Unreal Tournament 3 Linux client promised, not delivered. They lied and strung us along, too. I don't care whose fault it was, they were smarmy weasels about it right to the bitter end. I was expecting it to have the Loki installer right on the CD for Linux, like previous UT2003/2004 disk sets I bought. I don't care if I had no right to expect that (as admonished by fanboy apologists in Unreal enthusiast forums), I did, rightly or wrongly, but I would have been OK with that if a client would have been produced in a reasonable time. Even so, I had adjusted myself to that and wasn't too angry. They did well on the Windows platform, supporting the game long after with patches and bonus packs. Also, thanks to its interfaces, the community was able to make that game much better with lots of maps, mods, models etc. to make up for lack of content as shipped (some of it rather clever, too)

2) Nothing to do with Linux, but the Gears of War franchise... They put their fat lips around the Microsoft teat, and built up all kinds of anticipation for the Gears of War 2 release and announced (fairly late) that it was going to be XBox 360 exclusive. I liked Gears of War and was looking forward to the sequel. This irks me more than, and makes me feel more betrayed than my first point about UT3... it's strike 2 and strike 3 at once, for me. Greedy marketeers who don't care about their user base. They can make lots more money, doing less work if they whore out to Microsoft and piss on everyone else.

I distrust Epic Games and will certainly never support them, I don't care what they claim they will support now. I don't care if they offer to cup their very hands and cradle my balls in support, they won't get a chance to disappoint me again.

Comment

Did we ever find out the reasons why UT3 wasn't allowed to be released? I remember Ryan Gordon talking about his porting work and saying how the reason was unbelievable and I remember lots of speculation around what kind of proprietary tech might have prevented it but I don't remember any specifics.

Comment

Boring. Can't they come up with something new? "Let's do a shooter!" Yeah, there's only a gazillion of them already.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
          Did we ever find out the reasons why UT3 wasn't allowed to be released? I remember Ryan Gordon talking about his porting work and saying how the reason was unbelievable and I remember lots of speculation around what kind of proprietary tech might have prevented it but I don't remember any specifics.
          Their contract(s) with MS surrounding the GOW franchise barrin Epic from releasing anything on Linux?

Comment

future

Shooters aren't really that interesting anymore, If you played one you've played them all pretty much. Take any shooter you want, put a new skin on it and call it new. People eat it up cough*callofduty*cough because they know no better.

The Indie guys are the only ones taking risks in actually making original things. AAA Games aren't important anymore and focus on stale 'it just works' material. EA, Blizzard, Bioware, Epic and all the other big boys can just shove it. I didn't play their garbage back when I used Windows and I'm not gonna play it on Linux. With all due respect, Indies are the future AAA companies for a future that doesn't involve being a Microsoft whore.

That's not to say they never made good games, in fact they did. But those days are long over. It's time to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
              Their contract(s) with MS surrounding the GOW franchise barrin Epic from releasing anything on Linux?

Is that a guess? If that is true then what the hell, I mean does MS seriously go out of their way to kill Linux gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                Is that a guess? If that is true then what the hell, I mean does MS seriously go out of their way to kill Linux gaming?
                That is a pure, wild speculative guess. Hence the question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  Shooters aren't really that interesting anymore, If you played one you've played them all pretty much.
                  Is there any interesting game to play? Seriously I am searching for a non shooter ....

Comment

Working...
                  X