Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Media Player Making Good Progress In Qt5 Port

Phoronix: VLC Media Player Making Good Progress In Qt5 Port

The popular VLC media player is nearing a working state in its port to using the Qt5 tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I care a lot more about VDPAU support, which is long overdue, the current support for VDPAU in VLC that can be enabled if you bend over backwards - sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I care a lot more about VDPAU support, which is long overdue, the current support for VDPAU in VLC that can be enabled if you bend over backwards - sucks.
      Aye, I've never been able to get to work at all, even though it works in mplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        Aye, I've never been able to get to work at all, even though it works in mplayer.
        Nvidia gt630, vdpau run perfectly with vlc

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          Nvidia gt630, vdpau run perfectly with vlc
          Okay but I'm using open source Radeon.

Comment

According to https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/roadmap VLC 2.1 with VDPAU will be released in 2 weeks.
            The release was delayed several times already but some Windows-only bugs (MSI installer, DirectSound, Windows wallpaper) somehow are not getting fixed. Stupid Windows?

Comment

The latest nightly build from ppa (v 2.2) doesn't have an option for VDPAU, wtf.

Here's a screenshot.
              Last edited by mark45; 16 July 2013, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Right now there is no time-frame for the actual Q5-capable VLC release, but when it does, this will be good news for Wayland users and others looking forward to the updated media player.
                It depends.
                If, meantime of the Qt port, they have removed all (if any) internal Xlib calls, then ok VLC-Qt will work fine in Wayland, otherwise it will crash wanderfully.

Comment

The latest nightly build from ppa (v 2.2) doesn't have an option for VDPAU, wtf.

Here's a screenshot.

they use el backend vaapi for use vdpau

Comment

VLC is one of the few programs that, while I really like it, breaks something very often. About a half year ago I couldn't play wma files. Today, there's several DVDs I can't play that I used to be able to. Sometimes, a video will play fine, but crashes in fullscreen. I'd rather there be something to make playing media more consistent than a move to Qt5, which I see little benefit in.

Comment

Working...
                    X