Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.1 On Intel's Core i7 Haswell

Phoronix: Running PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.1 On Intel's Core i7 Haswell

In the two months since the launch of Intel's Haswell processors there's been a lot of coverage on Phoronix for this latest-generation hardware under Linux, including some of Windows and OS X too, but no BSD testing yet. That has now changed with our first report of using PC-BSD / FreeBSD 9.1 on an Intel Core i7 4770K...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you need accelerated graphics on a BSD Haswell system, you're best off installing a NVIDIA discrete graphics card.
    Since when does Optimus work on FreeBSD ?

Comment

Originally posted by tron_ston
      What do you expect? It's BSD, they sold themselves to the devil and thus they have proprietary blobs for their crap. In fact their graphics only work properly with NVidia cards and NVidia blobs, anything else just doesn't work.
      Untrue. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, and in Linux I was completely unable to boot (without disabling KMS, which stuck me in Vesa) since 3.5 all the way to 3.10
      In FreeBSD, I not only had my full resolution, but a very well working 3d. Sure it had no KMS at the time, and therefore, not *as* good at it used to be in Linux, but it worked.

Comment

comon Intel !?

... hasn't Microsoft already dumped on you guys (Intel and AMD) enough, with their (badly-performing) RT/Phone8 crap, and their "ARM" processor's. ?!
        I mean, nuthin' against ARM, but even Asus, ..., has long since "abandoned" RT. -it's caca, and the market knows it.

... so take a future hint:
        'cause it's gonna be those "other" OS's too now, that are gonna sell for you soon, aka Linux, BSD,... (well moreso Linux) but whatever. It's all good.
        If you wanna $ell those chips, then "make it so, Number 1".
        Last edited by scjet; 20 September 2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X