Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMir Lands In Ubuntu 13.10 Main

Phoronix: XMir Lands In Ubuntu 13.10 Main

As expected with Canonical's plans to land the Mir Display Server with XMir in Ubuntu 13.10 where Unity 7 will run atop XMir by default for supported configurations, the various components have now landed in the Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy" main archive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

they also need to fix full system Lock ups for AMD users

Comment

Wayland

Too bad Ubuntu 13.10 saucy salamander (and Debian) have old Wayland and Weston in their repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Too bad Ubuntu 13.10 saucy salamander (and Debian) have old Wayland and Weston in their repositories.
        Ubuntu has Wayland in it's repos too

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          You can try:
          git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/weston
          git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/wayland

May need some assembly.

It's sad that xwayland is a little ignored by developers.
          RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            Ubuntu has Wayland in it's repos too
            Yes, I know.
            But it is the old version.

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
              You can try:
              git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/weston
              git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/wayland/wayland

May need some assembly.

It's sad that xwayland is a little ignored by developers.
              Lets hope this happens XWayland integration

Comment

Hello,

I've been reading these forums for several months now, and the ones over XWayland, XMir, Mir, Wayland are really baffling me. My understanding is that XWayland and therefore XMir (because most of its been based of XWayland) are really there to provide support for applications that won't be running natively under Wayland and Mir when they're ready. So it's quite bizarre that people are wanting these technologies now and wanting to run full desktops on them, which in a best case scenario will give you the same performance as using vanilla X. I can understand wanting them to test your software, but not as an X replacement, especially right now. However, these threads soon fall apart from discussing the technological advantages of these new technologies, what they can be used for, their feasibility, and their general need to fanboys declaring a win for Ubuntu because they can sort of run things on XMir right now, with everyone trying to point out the flaws in their arguments and being called trolls.

There really needs to be some perspective about what these technologies are being used for, what their going to be used for and what sort of time frame we're talking about. Mir is an Ubuntu technologies being developed for Unity solely and not being designed to take over the Linux ecosystem. Wayland though is being used by everyone else to shore up some of the failing of X. And XMir and Xwalyand are only there to make the passage seamless to their respective parents.That's the facts as they currently stand, things may change in a year who knows, but that's no reason for the name calling, ignorance and immaturity I've seen on these forums to a technical website.

So for those wanting to develop for Ubuntu, then I'm glad to see they're getting the tools they need to start doing a few things, though the tools for those wanting to develop for Wayland are also out there and its misleading to say or ask "where is Wayland?" at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by felixmelton View Post
                  Hello,

I've been reading these forums for several months now, and the ones over XWayland, XMir, Mir, Wayland are really baffling me. My understanding is that XWayland and therefore XMir (because most of its been based of XWayland) are really there to provide support for applications that won't be running natively under Wayland and Mir when they're ready. So it's quite bizarre that people are wanting these technologies now and wanting to run full desktops on them, which in a best case scenario will give you the same performance as using vanilla X. I can understand wanting them to test your software, but not as an X replacement, especially right now. However, these threads soon fall apart from discussing the technological advantages of these new technologies, what they can be used for, their feasibility, and their general need to fanboys declaring a win for Ubuntu because they can sort of run things on XMir right now, with everyone trying to point out the flaws in their arguments and being called trolls.

There really needs to be some perspective about what these technologies are being used for, what their going to be used for and what sort of time frame we're talking about. Mir is an Ubuntu technologies being developed for Unity solely and not being designed to take over the Linux ecosystem. Wayland though is being used by everyone else to shore up some of the failing of X. And XMir and Xwalyand are only there to make the passage seamless to their respective parents.That's the facts as they currently stand, things may change in a year who knows, but that's no reason for the name calling, ignorance and immaturity I've seen on these forums to a technical website.

So for those wanting to develop for Ubuntu, then I'm glad to see they're getting the tools they need to start doing a few things, though the tools for those wanting to develop for Wayland are also out there and its misleading to say or ask "where is Wayland?" at this stage.
                  XWayland is faster then Xorg as the few 2d Test have shown
                  Xwayland may get full Xorg integration in the next Xorg release (let's hope )
                  and what a lot of trolls don't get is that we're going to be able to use Wayland this year in Development release's Mir will not be used tell Ubuntu 14.10 Xmir is really just a Xorg/Xwayland mix and it has a Mir Patch it also needs root to run as of now
                  Develop releases coming for Wayland this year are Gnome KDE and Maybe E19 & MATE as for Ubuntu Mir thats going to be in October 2014
                  so we will have 4 to 5 Full Wayland Desktops by Mid Year 2014 and Ubuntu's full Mir Desktop will not be ready tell October 2014
                  you will see Wayland Desktops at LinuxCon this year as Tech Demo's that we can fully use
                  Test so far have shown Xmir is Shower then Xorg

The bottom Line is Mir cannot compete with the Development Level of Wayland at all there is no way it can, as Wayland which is being developed by Industries leaders and, Mir is Being Developed by Amateur's

Comment

Originally posted by felixmelton View Post
                    My understanding is that XWayland and therefore XMir (because most of its been based of XWayland) are really there to provide support for applications that won't be running natively under Wayland and Mir when they're ready.
                    Not quite. XWayland is intended for running X apps under a native Wayland desktop (such as Weston, or Gnome/KDE once ported). It's a compatibility layer, basically - both short term and long, the idea is that the desktop shell will be running native under Wayland, and XWayland will exist for running applications that don't support Wayland yet.

In contast, XMir (for now, at least) runs only as a full-screen X session on top of Mir. This means you can run an entire X desktop on top of Mir, but it can't run X apps as individual windows under a native Mir desktop (if such a thing existed yet). This is the strategy Ubuntu is taking for the near future - Mir underneath, but a classic X desktop on top. Long term, they'll have a version of the Unity desktop running natively, and XMir will evolve into a legacy support function like XWayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X