Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Wayland/Weston Shell Gets New Release

Phoronix: Hawaii Wayland/Weston Shell Gets New Release

Hawaii Shell, a Qt 5 based desktop interface that has a Weston plug-in for Wayland support, has experienced a new release. This Hawaii Shell release for Wayland has many new desktop-related features for those wishing for something a little more than a stock Weston desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the future of linux is looking qt-er every day

Comment

not surprised. gtk+ is a steaming pile of crap. what do you expect. qt is corporate funded and gtk+ is basically bunch of idealistic hacker nerds with little financial support

Comment

It really is impressive how complete it is when it comes to traditional stuff like lock screens and authentication, and now support for multiple displays? Very nice.

Some of the design is nice, too, although I don't think it would simply be a matter of taste to say it has a long way to go. Everything you need is there, sure, and it may even feel familiar to some users, but I think the layout and theming could be much tighter. Seeing some of their earlier app designs, I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a similar theme here, yet.

Either way, here's something you can actually use on Wayland aside from the 'reference compositor', so that's newsworthy in itself. We're there, it seems- we just need an environment people are going to leave X for.

Comment

Window decorators

You see some window decorators are blue, then other apps have gray window decorators.

This inconsistency sucks!
          It should be one theme for all applications!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            You see some window decorators are blue, then other apps have gray window decorators.

This inconsistency sucks!
            It should be one theme for all applications!
            The beauty of CSD... </sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              not surprised. gtk+ is a steaming pile of crap. what do you expect. qt is corporate funded and gtk+ is basically bunch of idealistic hacker nerds with little financial support
              Did BO$$ steal your account?

Comment

Originally posted by Znurre View Post
                The beauty of CSD... </sarcasm>
                Weston is just a stop gap until their own compositor is ready. Hopefully that one will follow KWin?s example and not use client-side decorations. Don't know about GTK applications but Qt applications have a switch to enable or disable CSD.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
                  And it's about time. Personally I've always found the appearance of most GTK & Gnome themes much too cartoonish and juvenile (and the apps much too childlike in their simplicity). I'm hoping that the rise of Wayland/Weston will usher in a new of era of choice, other than KDE, in desktops for adults.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
                    And it's about time. Personally I've always found the appearance of most GTK/Gnome themes much too cartoonish and juvenile (and the apps too childlike in their simplicity). GNOME, XFCE, Elementary, etc. are all guilty on that count. Is it any wonder that Linux on the dektop has had difficulty gaining traction in the enterprise when the desktop looks as works like it was designed for a 10 year old?

I'm hoping that the rise of Weston/Wayland will usher in a new era of choice, other than KDE, in desktops for adults.

Comment

Working...
                    X