Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashrom 0.9.7 Refines Support For A Lot Of Chips

Phoronix: Flashrom 0.9.7 Refines Support For A Lot Of Chips

Flashrom is the leading way for flashing BIOS/firmware images on hundreds of flash chips, hundreds of motherboards, and dozens of PCI devices. Released today was Flashrom 0.9.7 as the first major update in one year's time and with it comes almost 150 changes to the open-source BIOS/firmware flashing project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is used to flash your devices (motherboard, graphics card, etc) with firmware.

It is used to flash coreboot (with SeaBIOS or UEFI payloads, etc) into firmware.

Comment

Used this to flash my MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard, worked first time

Comment

Big love to the flashrom project. (If I wasn't already broke this month I should send a little donation, too) One program to rul... flash them all. And the solution to BIOS and Firnware upgrades on Linux-PCs without having to fiddle around with DOS floppies or even needing a Windows installation just to load a few KB of stuff in a chip.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Big love to the flashrom project. (If I wasn't already broke this month I should send a little donation, too) One program to rul... flash them all. And the solution to BIOS and Firnware upgrades on Linux-PCs without having to fiddle around with DOS floppies or even needing a Windows installation just to load a few KB of stuff in a chip.
          Yeah, but it needs to be 100% regression free, and not have any bugs.
          The code really needs to be reliable, audited and verifiable. It would have to require unit testing.
          There would have to be pre-checks, post-checks and verifications and assurances and safety checks to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I wouldn't want to use some third-party firmware flashing tool and then accidentally brick the hardware.

Comment

Working...
          X