Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per-Session Display Configuration For Mir Has Landed

Phoronix: Per-Session Display Configuration For Mir Has Landed

We know that a lot of Mir improvements/features should land this week with the Ubuntu 13.10 feature freeze being imminent. The first Bazaar commit this week to the Mir Display Server has added in support for per-session display configuration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means that the desktop resolution will come back to normal when, for example, a game set to a custom one crashes?

If I understood correctly, that's awesome

I *think* Wayland already have a similar mechanism, so it's great those problems will definitely die with X.

Comment

Good Question Malizor

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
      This means that the desktop resolution will come back to normal when, for example, a game set to a custom one crashes?

I *think* Wayland already have a similar mechanism, so it's great those problems will definitely die with X.
      One of the most annoying problems in X... Do you know the name of that feature in Wayland?

Obs.: It is very good Mir corrected this, just imagine you with your Ubuntu Edge and by some reason a game crashes and you cannot see the complete menu to adjust a new resolution :O

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post

Thank God!

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
        One of the most annoying problems in X... Do you know the name of that feature in Wayland?

Obs.: It is very good Mir corrected this, just imagine you with your Ubuntu Edge and by some reason a game crashes and you cannot see the complete menu to adjust a new resolution :O
        It would be a disaster on a mobile if the screen resolution was screwed up. It would be impossible to fix the problem with such a screen resolution dependent interface. How does android deal with this problem? Similar to the Mir/Wayland method?

Comment

Who cares about what Mir does? It's just going to fail and be replaced with Wayland eventually, when Canonical notices that no one wants their display server, and it's way too much trouble to maintain than they are capable of...

Right now, they're just too invested in their little pet project, they've hyped it so much that they can't back out now without "losing face" (or hurting Shuttleworth's ego), so they have to stick to their guns, hope the noise dies down, and later on quietly move back to Wayland with their tail between their legs... Wayland will be used by everyone else, and Ubuntu will eventually be forced to follow suit in order to even remain relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Who cares about what Mir does?
            You oviously...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Who cares about what Mir does? It's just going to fail and be replaced with Wayland eventually, when Canonical notices that no one wants their display server, and it's way too much trouble to maintain than they are capable of...

Right now, they're just too invested in their little pet project, they've hyped it so much that they can't back out now without "losing face" (or hurting Shuttleworth's ego), so they have to stick to their guns, hope the noise dies down, and later on quietly move back to Wayland with their tail between their legs... Wayland will be used by everyone else, and Ubuntu will eventually be forced to follow suit in order to even remain relevant.
              See what happened with Upstart.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                How does android deal with this problem? Similar to the Mir/Wayland method?
                I don't think it lets applications change the resolution. It doesn't even let users change it without root.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  See what happened with Upstart.
                  It got picked up by RedHat and Oracle the too biggest Linux server companies in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    It got picked up by RedHat and Oracle the too biggest Linux server companies in the world?
                    google uses upstart if im not mistaken...

Comment

Working...
                    X