Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Geometry Shaders Code Merged Into Mesa

Phoronix: Intel Geometry Shaders Code Merged Into Mesa

Intel's Paul Berry merged a large stack of OpenGL Geometry Shader patches for the Intel DRI driver into mainline Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Geometry Shaders Code Merged Into Mesa

Intel's Paul Berry merged a large stack of OpenGL Geometry Shader patches for the Intel DRI driver into mainline Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1MTE
    Wild guess: the Steam box is going to be Intel based.

Wonder what's gonna happen with Intel's seemingly large OTC developer base when work on the graphics driver ends...?

Comment

Originally posted by matzipan View Post

Wonder what's gonna happen with Intel's seemingly large OTC developer base when work on the graphics driver ends...?
      I'm sure some people will choose to build steam boxes with Intel APUs. Intel still has years of work to do before they "catch up" but in the mean time they will still be releasing new products according to schedule. I don't see them ever running out of stuff to do.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I'm sure some people will choose to build steam boxes with Intel APUs. Intel still has years of work to do before they "catch up" but in the mean time they will still be releasing new products according to schedule. I don't see them ever running out of stuff to do.
        What do you mean people? I'm talking about the rumoured Valve Steam Box. I read that they were intending to be OpenGL 4 ready late 2014.

What new products does their OTC really release?

Comment

Last I heard Valve would put out more of a reference design for it, and in the end it would be up to manufacturers to actually chose the hardware (think Google/Android). So, yes, some people might use Intel GPUs, some way not. I personally don't see it - Intel's graphics cards are way too far behind, it would have use at least and AMD APU, or a straight up NVIDIA/AMD discrete card, and OpenGL 4.x? Both AMD's and NVIDIA's blobs have had it for awhile now

Comment

Are you nuts? Haswell is a nice GPU, but it doesn't come even close to a mid-end Nvidia GPU from two years ago. Well, Intel also has Iris, but not even that will cut it, the Steam box will have a discrete GPU, you can bet on it.

In what way would work on the driver end? There's still OpenGL 4.{0-4} to implement (and while that's being developed, newer versions of the OpenGL spec will be released), and there will for sure be new GPUs after Haswell/Iris. A driver is continuous development, not something that has an "end".

Comment

What do you mean people? I'm talking about the rumoured Valve Steam Box. I read that they were intending to be OpenGL 4 ready late 2014.

What new products does their OTC really release?
              Anybody can build a Steambox. I work at a local computer shop, I'll be offering Steamboxes to my customers. The only thing Big Picture mode is missing is a way to ignore all games that can't be installed on the current platform. If it can't be installed then it should be completely invisible.

As far as Intel goes, they arent going simply stop releasing new processors and GPUs. The OTC will still need to keep up.
              Last edited by duby229; 01 September 2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Are you nuts? Haswell is a nice GPU, but it doesn't come even close to a mid-end Nvidia GPU from two years ago. Well, Intel also has Iris, but not even that will cut it, the Steam box will have a discrete GPU, you can bet on it.

In what way would work on the driver end? There's still OpenGL 4.{0-4} to implement (and while that's being developed, newer versions of the OpenGL spec will be released), and there will for sure be new GPUs after Haswell/Iris. A driver is continuous development, not something that has an "end".
                The smart bet would be a Kaveri APU after the September release of the next gen AMD GPGPUs.

Comment

By the time the Steam box actually becomes a thing Intel will have released a better GPU.

The current pace is fast enough that they will have run out of things to do in a year or two.

Comment

By the time the Steam box actually becomes a thing Intel will have released a better GPU.
                    That's true, and it's why some people may choose to use it in their SteamBox. There are tons of really good games on Steam that will work just fine on Intel graphics. Maybe not all of them, but you can still have a really fun time if you choose the right games.

The current pace is fast enough that they will have run out of things to do in a year or two.
                    That's not true. The OSS stack still has years of development work required. In a lot of different ways. It already provides a decent end user experience, but that doesnt mean that it's done or anywhere near done.
                    Last edited by duby229; 01 September 2013, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X