Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME On Wayland Is Good For GNOME 3.10

Phoronix: GNOME On Wayland Is Good For GNOME 3.10

In recent days and weeks there have been many Phoronix news stories about Wayland support improvements going into different GNOME components like the GNOME Shell and GTK+ tool-kit. The GNOME 3.10 official release is due later this month and overall the support for running GNOME Shell on Wayland appears in rather good standing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They've already done a lot of work in this direction, but leading up to the betas specifically there has been a ton of work done to really get things in shape. It's amazing to see this much dedication. While Wayland is undoubtedly an improvement over X11, it would be much easier to build a new environment on top of Wayland than to adapt a complete desktop environment to run under Wayland and make Gnome Shell the compositor. A lot of work is finally culminating after years of preparation, and I couldn't be more excited to try it out.

Comment

Now I understand what Gnome developers meant when they decided to go full speed in supporting Wayland. Outstanding dedication. I guess we should thank Canonical for putting pressure on them.

Comment

Michael seems to be neglecting the known regressions list which is huge. Starting with performance and then drag and drop not working and no clipboard manager.

Comment

Whoa! Good to see the GNOME camp is seriously pushing for Wayland.

Comment

Good that we finally have a real testbed for Wayland then. I bet Wayland devs will use some of the insights from this to further stabilize the API.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Fedora 20 is the place to be. Early test images for Fedora 20 are ready and wayland support can't be far away now.
              I have a feeling you will actually be able to use Gnome 3.10 / Wayland on Archlinux before Fedora 20 is offically released. ~ which should work out nicely for me, because while i typically use nVidia H/W + blob, my new machine that i am building won't have room for nvidia (micro-itx MOB and I need the PCIe(s) for other things) and instead will use Intel/IGP. (so no point in using X11, particularly since my main app for this machine either run without X or should be able to run on Gnome 3.10 wayland (since that particular app has a gkt3 port already)...

On a general note: I'm very excited about this... Awesome Progress Gnome!
              Last edited by ninez; 05 September 2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Are there some live media with Gnome 3.10 to test drive? Not necessarily with Wayland enabled. Just Gnome 3.10 (3.9+).

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  Yes. Fedora 20 alpha TC4. Works fine for live testing and you can install it as well. I love what they have done to the boot loader. Very minimalistic.

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/...4/Live/x86_64/
                  Thank you very much! I'm struggling with a pesky graphics performance bug introduced with one of the updates to Fedora 18, still present on Fedora 19, with no word from Fedora developers on it!

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    I have a feeling you will actually be able to use Gnome 3.10 / Wayland on Archlinux before Fedora 20 is offically released. ~ which should work out nicely for me, because while i typically use nVidia H/W + blob, my new machine that i am building won't have room for nvidia (micro-itx MOB and I need the PCIe(s) for other things) and instead will use Intel/IGP. (so no point in using X11, particularly since my main app for this machine either run without X or should be able to run on Gnome 3.10 wayland (since that particular app has a gkt3 port already)...

On a general note: I'm very excited about this... Awesome Progress Gnome!
                    To bad that XWayland isn't merged into X, yet. I have not tried XWayland from AUR. Together with Gnome 3.10 this might give you the best experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X