Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cling: An Interactive, JIT-Based C++ Interpreter

Phoronix: Cling: An Interactive, JIT-Based C++ Interpreter

After writing about ClangFormat yesterday as an interesting LLVM project that leverages Clang to automatically reformat C/C++ source-code, a Phoronix reader wrote in about another interesting project, Cling. Cling is an interactive C++ interpreter that uses Clang for Just-In-Time compilation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is an excellent project!!!

I would love to see this project replacing most scripting languages

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Yes, i can see all these Python, Perl, PHP, SH, JS programmers massively switch to experience the joy of C++ scripting... Are you out of your mind?
      Its a good idea, but for a horror movie.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

??

You know, ROOT exists since several years ago. It's used in the LHC, and was previously used in another CERN project, but I don't recall which (and I'm too lazy to re read the about page).

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
        Yes, i can see all these Python, Perl, PHP, SH, JS programmers massively switch to experience the joy of C++ scripting... Are you out of your mind?
        Its a good idea, but for a horror movie.
        It IS a good idea, but for CERN, which needs huge performance. They do work produce more than 10TB of raw data for every run. For normal applications? Way too much overkill.

EDIT: Before you start saying "then go native all the way", which I might agree, the C language is easier to optimize and compile than most other languages, because it's simple (as in complexity, not as difficulty), so even though recompiling fully might be annoying for the kind of application this aims to, they need to achieve the running code to be as optimized as possible while not actually recompiling every time.
        Last edited by mrugiero; 16 September 2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          ??
          It IS a good idea, but for CERN, which needs huge performance. They do work produce more than 10TB of raw data for every run. For normal applications? Way too much overkill.

EDIT: Before you start saying "then go native all the way", which I might agree, the C language is easier to optimize and compile than most other languages, because it's simple (as in complexity, not as difficulty), so even though recompiling fully might be annoying for the kind of application this aims to, they need to achieve the running code to be as optimized as possible while not actually recompiling every time.
          I'm not going to argue with that, CERN staff are experts, and they know what they need to do their job. The idea of replacing current interpreted langueges with C++ is the one i find absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
            I'm not going to argue with that, CERN staff are experts, and they know what they need to do their job. The idea of replacing current interpreted langueges with C++ is the one i find absurd.
            And I agree with you. Scripting languages have their reason to exist, and having an scripting C won't change that.

Comment

Working...
            X