Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Finally Releases Updated GPU Tools

Phoronix: Intel Finally Releases Updated GPU Tools

It's been a while since Intel last updated their open-source GPU Tools package, but they have now put out the intel-gpu-tools 1.4 release along with a commitment to push out new releases on a quarterly basis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's stopping them?

As implied by the package name, intel-gpu-tools is written against Intel hardware specifications and will not work in troubleshooting or optimizing other open-source graphics drivers.
    What would stop anybody from porting these over to AMD? Or nouveau? Or any others?

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      What would stop anybody from porting these over to AMD? Or nouveau? Or any others?
      They are highly hardware dependent - it's like asking what's stopping anyone from porting the i965 driver over to radeon. Nothing really, except you'd have to completely rewrite 50% of it to deal with the other hardware.

There aren't many common standards exposing debugging information, which means each hardware manufacturer has come up with their own way of implementing it in hardware. Unlike, say, many of the OpenGL standard extensions which must be somewhat in common across hardware simply because of the way they are defined to work.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 17 September 2013, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        it's like asking what's stopping anyone from porting the i965 driver over to radeon. Nothing really, except you'd have to completely rewrite 50% of it to deal with the other hardware.
        Haha I'm sure it's a lot more than 50%.

But anyways, I'm glad this update was released. Are there any graphical frontends to intel's GPU tools? This is one of those things where a GUI is handy because there gets to be a point where scrolling through a manpage gets to be tedious, especially if you don't know what you're looking for even exists. On that note, it surprises me there's no GUI to aticonfig.

Comment

Working...
        X