Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org XDC2013 Program Announced

Phoronix: X.Org XDC2013 Program Announced

For the X.Org Developers' Conference that's happening next week, XDC2013, the program of selected talks has now been announced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like how Reverse Engineering of NVIDIA product and NVIDIA's Vendor-Neutral OpenGL library are presented at the same conference.

Comment

Reverse engineering instructions =!= Reverse engineering drivers

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
      I like how Reverse Engineering of NVIDIA product and NVIDIA's Vendor-Neutral OpenGL library are presented at the same conference.
      Reverse engineering is not illegal as long as you are not reverse engineering the driver itself but only the instructions given for a certain OpenGL-environment.
      If NVIDIA was complaining about it and bring it to court, they wouldn't have any chance to actually change this fact.
      I'm a big supporter of the nouveau-project, because the developers are doing a fine job!

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
        Reverse engineering is not illegal as long as you are not reverse engineering the driver itself but only the instructions given for a certain OpenGL-environment.
        If NVIDIA was complaining about it and bring it to court, they wouldn't have any chance to actually change this fact.
        I'm a big supporter of the nouveau-project, because the developers are doing a fine job!
        krasnoglaz might not have been looking at it from that angle ... instead, the drawing attention to those two talks might have been to point out the contrast between "nvidia is such a non-team player, when it comes to OSS, that we have to resort to RE'ing" and "nvidia being a team player who makes improvements in the OSS graphics domain (i.e. the Mesa/OpenGL ABI)"

In a similar vein, I thought that the "GLX rewrite" provided a bit of contrast to the "vendor neutral ABI" ... recall that part of the push is the desire to deprecate GLX and transition to egl .... (thus providing the amusement in the direction of energy towards the former, though perhaps a GLX rewrite is a necessary, intermediate, stop gap step before an egl-ful future ... but that sure ain't "killing it with fire", or whoever it expressed previously :P )

Anyway, looks to be a nice set of talks they have scheduled there. Look forward to seeing the reports from such.

Comment

Working...
        X