Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Can Now Run GNOME Shell Wayland On Fedora 20

Phoronix: You Can Now Run GNOME Shell Wayland On Fedora 20

The GNOME 3.10 Wayland Tech Preview for Fedora 20 is nearing reality. While there wasn't the Wayland tech preview ready for the recent Fedora 20 Alpha, with the latest Fedora packages it's now possible to run the updated GNOME stack atop Wayland without the use of an X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't forget to check Giovanni's blog (linked in Matthias's), as it has an actual screenshot of the Wayland session. Just seeing that has changed my perspective on how close we are to getting a daily Wayland experience. So long as XWayland and its direct rendering have come along by next March, I can really see myself using this. I just wonder how much longer it will take to get it running on Android drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      Don't forget to check Giovanni's blog (linked in Matthias's), as it has an actual screenshot of the Wayland session. Just seeing that has changed my perspective on how close we are to getting a daily Wayland experience. So long as XWayland and its direct rendering have come along by next March, I can really see myself using this. I just wonder how much longer it will take to get it running on Android drivers.
      Keep in mind that we still need egl drivers that include the wayland specific extension (forget what it's called).

Comment

So..anyone know what's holding XWayland back? Or is it just a case of them trying to get the actual thing ready and thus just not working much on it?

Comment

the beauty that is wayland:

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Keep in mind that we still need egl drivers that include the wayland specific extension (forget what it's called).
            The free in-kernel drivers have worked with Wayland for years, and they are more than suitable for most people. People who need the few remaining strengths of the blob drivers will still have to wait a little while longer of course.

Comment

I'm excited for this. I'm an Xfce user, but they are not jumping to Wayland anytime soon. I'll probably move to GNOME, but I'm not a big fan of it. I hope I can run Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                the beauty that is wayland:
                that is just mutter-wayland.. I think you want:

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                  So..anyone know what's holding XWayland back? Or is it just a case of them trying to get the actual thing ready and thus just not working much on it?
                  Canonical wants to run entire desktops under XMir. This is turning out to be more complicated that anticipated. For XWayland, it will just run applications that don't run under Wayland. This should be much simpler and as Wayland has a lot of X developers, I'm guessing their assessment is right.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                    that is just mutter-wayland.. I think you want:

it puts tears in my eye's

Comment

Working...
                    X