Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AbiWord 3.0 Released With Many Changes, GTK3

Phoronix: AbiWord 3.0 Released With Many Changes, GTK3

AbiWord 3.0 is finally out with support for the GTK+ 3.x tool-kit and a significant number of other new features to the GNOME-focused multi-platform open-source word processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AbiWord 3.0 Released With Many Changes, GTK3

AbiWord 3.0 is finally out with support for the GTK+ 3.x tool-kit and a significant number of other new features to the GNOME-focused multi-platform open-source word processor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NTM
    I used to use it on an old computer of mine... It's so blazing fast!

Comment

Nice program with much greater functionality than Kword.

Comment

I really like Abiword, it's fast, has a good feature set, the only problem that made me install Libreoffice anyway was it's compatibility with other formats, hope that's better in 3.0

Comment

Instead of developing and wasting time in yet another office, it would be great if all developer join and support LibreOffice, which is the best office suite on Linux for productional usage.
          I mean, just look at Calligra Word. It's unusable, everytime I try to do some serios work with it, I end up in a bug. I just gave it up and stick to LibreOffice (although it has some flaws too).

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but once Gnome Shell is fully ported to Wayland, any GTK3-based app will run OOTB on pure Wayland instead of XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              Instead of developing and wasting time in yet another office, it would be great if all developer join and support LibreOffice, which is the best office suite on Linux for productional usage.
              I mean, just look at Calligra Word. It's unusable, everytime I try to do some serios work with it, I end up in a bug. I just gave it up and stick to LibreOffice (although it has some flaws too).
              but Abiword has a different usage than Libreoffice. It takes much less disk space and is much faster. It is better suited to very old computers or virtual machines with small resources.

Comment

AbiWord is faster and easier to use than LibreOffice with less annoyances. It?s perfect to write (and read), at least, simple documents.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                  <sarcasm>And when we are at it, let's also join in on only one text editor, one image manipulation application, one file-manager, one DE/WM, one distro. This obviously has to be Vim, Gimp, Ranger, i3 and Slackware, nothing else fits my standard (well, maybe CRUX would also do). Your standards? Nobody asked for that, my standard is what counts.</sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by teahopper View Post
                    Slightly off-topic, but once Gnome Shell is fully ported to Wayland, any GTK3-based app will run OOTB on pure Wayland instead of XWayland?
                    It depends on whether the developers included a direct dependency on X11. I've seen source code which uses some X pixmap stuff. That'd have to be ported to cairo. Also, different compile time checks for X11 might have to be converted to runtime checks.

Comment

Working...
                    X