Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUPS 1.7.0 Polishes The Open-Source Print Server

Phoronix: CUPS 1.7.0 Polishes The Open-Source Print Server

With Apple controlling the development of CUPS open-source printing system, in recent years the major CUPS releases have immediately followed OS X releases. As a result, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that now with the official availability of OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", there is a new major CUPS release. CUPS 1.7.0 is the new version and it adds "polishing" to the multi-platform print server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The IPP Everywhere is for printing without printer drivers or applications and is a PWG standard aimed for both computers and mobile devices. "The goal is to make printing as simple as connecting a keyboard or mouse."
    This remembers me the talk "The American Dream" from George Carlin about the dumbing down of society:

- Pretty soon, the only thing you will need to enter college is a fucking pencil.
    - Got a pencil? .... Get the fuck in there, it's physics...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

xD

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      This remembers me the talk "The American Dream" from George Carlin about the dumbing down of society:

- Pretty soon, the only thing you will need to enter college is a fucking pencil.
      - Got a pencil? .... Get the fuck in there, it's physics...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

xD
      I'm more on the boat that presenting people with intellectual challenges more rich than hard-to-setup printers is what develops minds. But, what do I know, I only do novel research at a ivy league university.... I'm sure I know nothing compared to you people whom are experts at setting up printers.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielYYZ
        So, you'd rather have people that can't setup a printer solve the Hodge conjecture?
        I'm saying its unrelated. That was my point. Being able to set up a printer is not related to level of intelligence, nor does promotes the intellectual development.

We all have separate intelligences. http://www.springhurst.org/articles/MItheory.htm http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Pr...telligence.htm

It's not fair to say that one form of intelligence is better than another, or that someone is unintelligent because they don't share YOUR form of intelligence.

Comment

Its all fun and games, but still the printer drivers used/issued for Apple are NOT compatible with those from Linux/BSD.

So whats the point of Open-Source Print Server from Apple, if it can't print? Its rather Open-Source Print Access Point.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
            Its all fun and games, but still the printer drivers used/issued for Apple are NOT compatible with those from Linux/BSD.

So whats the point of Open-Source Print Server from Apple, if it can't print? Its rather Open-Source Print Access Point.
            I have NO IDEA what the license issues related to this are, but why doesn't Linux adopt Mac's print system in entirety? (assuming this isn't block by license or large technical issues) That way we can piggy back on their work.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post

You must be intellectually stunted if you can't get CUPS 1.7 to work on your printer from OpenPrinting.org or directly from the manufacturer who offers PPD files.

And if the manufacturer fails to offer that then I'd suggest you choose from one of hundreds of options to meet your needs.

CUPS 1.7 works with Linux and FreeBSD [This information is straight forward: CUPS Printing from Linux Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                I have NO IDEA what the license issues related to this are, but why doesn't Linux adopt Mac's print system in entirety? (assuming this isn't block by license or large technical issues) That way we can piggy back on their work.
                Other than OS X specific hooks via Core Foundation and what not the license is the GPL and LGPL version 2.

http://cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.7/license.html

If they're whining about GPL v3 or what not I suggest they take a long walk off a short pier.

Debian will have CUPS 1.7 soon, just like it already has 1.6.3. Debian Package Tracking is already noted to reference 1.7.
                Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 25 October 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  You must be intellectually stunted if you can't get CUPS 1.7 to work on your printer from OpenPrinting.org or directly from the manufacturer who offers PPD files.

And if the manufacturer fails to offer that then I'd suggest you choose from one of hundreds of options to meet your needs.

CUPS 1.7 works with Linux and FreeBSD [This information is straight forward: CUPS Printing from Linux Foundation
                  Excuse me, you must be intellectually challenged if you can't read my commentary without deviating it.
                  Most of the printers get support for MacOSX out of the box, whilst using exactly the same print server - CUPS, yet those drivers are completely incompatible with anything Linux.
                  For example, the situation with Kodak printers - they supported MacOSX out of the box, but did not care at all for anything else. There was a big .DMG on CD, nothing of PPD; and the totally random guy had to jump in and implement Kodak PPD from scratch.

How is that "Common Unix Printing System"?

Thats more "Fix Our Bugs We Don't Care About You" system.

Openprinting, Gutenprint etc are UNrelated to CUPS.

Comment

Working...
                  X