Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No XWayland Or XMir For X.Org Server 1.15

Phoronix: No XWayland Or XMir For X.Org Server 1.15

In case you missed it yesterday with announcing the X.Org Server 1.15 release candidate, XWayland nor XMir will be found in the next major update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chang Liu 2013-09-29 01:21:06 EDT
    Created attachment 804623 [details]
    [PATCH] wayland: make xwayland optional

The bug is caused by mutter-wayland trying to load XWayland,
    which is not built on most distros (including F20). This patch
    adds a runtime option for xwayland. With this change a user
    needs to explicitly specify --xwayland otherwise mutter-wayland
    will not try loading it.

Jasper St. Pierre 2013-10-28 14:17:01 EDT
    No. mutter will not work without XWayland until we do some serious rearchitecting. We need to package XWayland in F20.

Comment

Originally posted by coastiron View Post
      Chang Liu 2013-09-29 01:21:06 EDT
      Created attachment 804623 [details]
      [PATCH] wayland: make xwayland optional

The bug is caused by mutter-wayland trying to load XWayland,
      which is not built on most distros (including F20). This patch
      adds a runtime option for xwayland. With this change a user
      needs to explicitly specify --xwayland otherwise mutter-wayland
      will not try loading it.

Jasper St. Pierre 2013-10-28 14:17:01 EDT
      No. mutter will not work without XWayland until we do some serious rearchitecting. We need to package XWayland in F20.
      I wonder on the KDE front how things are going?!

Comment

I really hope that this won't slow down graphics card vendors' EGL efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          I wonder on the KDE front how things are going?!
          They are rather focused on Qt5 for the moment. Better do great one thing at a time that try to do two things at a time.

Comment

Are there any arguments against it being less of a setback than it appears to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
              Are there any arguments against it being less of a setback than it appears to be?
              If there are any, I'm also interested in hearing them. Doesn't this mean serious Wayland usability limitations for distros that ship vanilla packages (until XWayland is finally merged in Q2'14)?

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
                If there are any, I'm also interested in hearing them. Doesn't this mean serious Wayland usability limitations for distros that ship vanilla packages (until XWayland is finally merged in Q2'14)?
                Yes, it does create problems. Thankfully the biggest distros have ways of circumventing this...

Ubuntu and Fedora don't mind patching packages, so they'll probably get it anyway. Arch has the ABS so if you need XWayland you can just yaourt -S xorg-xwayland. Gentoo... Yeah its Gentoo, people dont mind compiling packages lol. Suse... Not sure. Debian isnt really affected by this at all unless youre on Sid, I dont think.

Any other 'big' distros I'm missing that ARENT covered by the above list? (Mint pulls from Ubuntu and Debian so thats covered, Sabayon pulls from Gentoo)
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

why do we care about Xwayland this is open Source just port the shit over to Wayland and be done with it all of are tool kits support Wayland so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    why do we care about Xwayland this is open Source just port the shit over to Wayland and be done with it all of are tool kits support Wayland so why not?
                    As a gamer you should care, if you want to play games that won't be ported.

Comment

Working...
                    X