Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI3 Support Proposed For Mesa 10.0

Phoronix: DRI3 Support Proposed For Mesa 10.0

Following the X.Org Server 1.15 Release Candidate that introduces Direct Rendering Infrastructure 3 (DRI3 a.k.a. DRI3000), Keith Packard has proposed a set of patches that provide DRI3 support for Mesa drivers. The only patched hardware driver though for DRI3 is currently the Intel i965 DRI driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DRI3 Support Proposed For Mesa 10.0

Following the X.Org Server 1.15 Release Candidate that introduces Direct Rendering Infrastructure 3 (DRI3 a.k.a. DRI3000), Keith Packard has proposed a set of patches that provide DRI3 support for Mesa drivers. The only patched hardware driver though for DRI3 is currently the Intel i965 DRI driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMzU
    I wonder if mesa and the x teams should merge into one. there is a lot of unneeded back and forth communication. DRI/DRM/Mesa/Cairo/X/Wayland should be a well oiled machine. This is the big advantage of Windows. The devs can take a holistic view across the stack because the kernel, compositor, scheduler, DirectX all have to talk together well. Unix for all its perks, is a Frankenstein, the programs head and tail were written by two different people, at different times, using different conventions.

Comment

Cool!

I hope the Radeon, Nouveau and other drivers get DRI3 support soon too!

I hope it wont take long until DRI2 is dropped.
      By the way, is does X.org and Mesa still have any DRI1 left or is DRI1 completely dropped in favor of DRI2?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        I wonder if mesa and the x teams should merge into one. there is a lot of unneeded back and forth communication. DRI/DRM/Mesa/Cairo/X/Wayland should be a well oiled machine. This is the big advantage of Windows. The devs can take a holistic view across the stack because the kernel, compositor, scheduler, DirectX all have to talk together well. Unix for all its perks, is a Frankenstein, the programs head and tail were written by two different people, at different times, using different conventions.
        Mesa is just meant to be an OpenGL library with OpenGL Drivers. Sure it has to have infrastructure to support X or Wayland or (insert-next-gen-display-server) but it shouldn't be too tightly tied to any one of those projects. Makes it harder to transition away from it when we need to / want to.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Sorry, couldn't edit.

Does this all mean there's a risk this petbug will not be resolved until spring 2014?!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
            Sorry, couldn't edit.

Does this all mean there's a risk this petbug will not be resolved until spring 2014?!
            https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028
            That bug's been known about for a long time o.O Keith mentioned that last year at linux.conf.au, hell he specifically brought it up when talking about DRI3 because he couldn't fix tearing on Sandy Bridge without doing DRI3.

As far as when it will be fixed... Xorg 1.15 has DRI3. If Mesa 10.0 gets DRI3 in the intel driver then it'll be fixed come december. If it doesn't get merged then it'll be pulled for mesa 11.0 / 10.1 which should come out ~March. If it doesn't get merged now you MAY still be able to get it, depending on if your distro doesn't mind merging it as a non-upstream patch.

BUT if the Intel driver doesnt get the DRI3 patch merged for 10.0, AND your distro doesn't patch it ahead of time, then yes. The next "stable" release is March of next year about 5months from now.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              That bug's been known about for a long time o.O Keith mentioned that last year at linux.conf.au, hell he specifically brought it up when talking about DRI3 because he couldn't fix tearing on Sandy Bridge without doing DRI3.

As far as when it will be fixed... Xorg 1.15 has DRI3. If Mesa 10.0 gets DRI3 in the intel driver then it'll be fixed come december. If it doesn't get merged then it'll be pulled for mesa 11.0 / 10.1 which should come out ~March. If it doesn't get merged now you MAY still be able to get it, depending on if your distro doesn't mind merging it as a non-upstream patch.

BUT if the Intel driver doesnt get the DRI3 patch merged for 10.0, AND your distro doesn't patch it ahead of time, then yes. The next "stable" release is March of next year about 5months from now.
              Thank you for answering my question! I use Fedora. I hope Fedora guys will pull the fix earlier.

PS. The bloke(s) who broke it all, i.e. replaced the working implementation with a new one before introduction of driver functionality required by the new implementation, is a fucking genius, no doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                PS. The bloke(s) who broke it all, i.e. replaced the working implementation with a new one before introduction of driver functionality required by the new implementation, is a fucking genius, no doubt about it.
                You mean the GPU hardware designers at Intel? As mentioned several times this only looks like a regression on the software side because old hardware did it automatically and new hardware requires DRI3 to emulate that.

Comment

Currently patching up my experimental Gentoo overlay for DRI3 support, will report back...

Comment

Working...
                  X