Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Getting Better Multi-Threaded Goodness

Phoronix: LibreOffice Getting Better Multi-Threaded Goodness

LibreOffice has been exciting to talk about recently with the landing of GPU/OpenCL calculation support and an OpenGL canvas plus many other features forthcoming in LibreOffice 4.2. The latest work underway is on working out multi-threaded importing for Calc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is all heartwarming, but it baffles me that people are spending time for fancy features while Open/LibreOffice still doesn't manage to save documents without randomly loosing your work.

I can't in all good contiousness recommend Open/LibreOffice to anyone.

Comment

multi-threading is good and all, but they need to work on the performance of their Writer application as well. The fact that it sometimes lags when I'm typing does not do good for it's reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        multi-threading is good and all, but they need to work on the performance of their Writer application as well. The fact that it sometimes lags when I'm typing does not do good for it's reputation.
        Works fine on my Windows build. Either your PC or your choice in OS.

Comment

The latest work underway is on working out multi-threaded importing for Calc...
          If the developer is watching you might want to change the code to use a thread group instead of spawning lots o threads.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
            I think a more user friendly interface has higher importance. Its 2000ish look scares the crap out of MS Office users.
            Funny, every time I've introduced a new user to it they sigh in relief "yeah, this thing has no ribbon"!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Funny, every time I've introduced a new user to it they sigh in relief "yeah, this thing has no ribbon"!
              It doesn't have to be ribbon. Now it looks like they just dropped icons/bars on the window randomly.

Comment

This will be a nice feature. I've heard some people wish libreoffice could load large calc sheets faster and this would help them (they have more than 1 core on their machine.).

Comment

But when will the ridiculous 1024 column limit be removed?

Comment

What did the world of word processing do before The Ribbon? Oh the horror of it all.

Comment

Working...
                    X