Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Looks To Turn Off Java, Replace With Go Or ADA

Phoronix: GCC Looks To Turn Off Java, Replace With Go Or ADA

GCC developers from multiple companies are beginning to reach agreement that it's time for Java to be turned off by default in GCC. The Java compiler support in GCC is in the form of GCJ, but it doesn't see much active development these days with more of the Java work happening in OpenJDK. Developers are looking to disable Java from the default GCC build process but to potentially replace it with the Go or ADA languages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone actually use GCJ? I imagine Go sees much more usage.

Comment

That?s good news; Go is a pretty good language and having it enabled by default would be useful. I?ve only been using the official Go compiler so far, but gccgo is required to use shared libraries, and it has better optimizations too (that?s what I read, at least?).

On the other hand I?ve never seen anything written in ADA, but I guess some people are using it.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        That?s good news; Go is a pretty good language and having it enabled by default would be useful. I?ve only been using the official Go compiler so far, but gccgo is required to use shared libraries, and it has better optimizations too (that?s what I read, at least?).

On the other hand I?ve never seen anything written in ADA, but I guess some people are using it.
        Because Ada is mainstream in places where Java was also used: in safety critical software. Ada site writes it:
        "Ada is seeing significant usage worldwide in high-integrity / safety-critical / high-security domains including commercial and military aircraft avionics, air traffic control, railroad systems, and medical devices."

I've been working into one of these fields and I can say that Ada is more used "under the rock" than C++ in some places.

In comparison Go are more mainstream (and Google is more about marketing at the end) from the point of usability and "safety critical" is not the concern of most programmers to look into highly validated on compile time runtimes. .Net has some libraries (and Java too) as an afterthought (like Code.Contracts), but none match Ada in terms of making sure that your data constraints are validated at every step.

Comment

Why substitute when you can subtract? Just drop Java and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            Why substitute when you can subtract? Just drop Java and be done with it.
            You didn't read the article, or did you?

It's about "stressing the codebase", because languages like java use less used codepaths and so on.

Comment

I hope they'll consider Rust as well. Comparing the two, I'd prefer Rust over Go.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                I hope they'll consider Rust as well. Comparing the two, I'd prefer Rust over Go.
                Rust is officially implemented in LLVM. As far as I know there exists no Rust front-end to GCC, at least certainly not mainline...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yes, but neither was Go supported there as well. So, why not Rust then. It's implemented in LLVM now, but nothing stops other compilers to be created for it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Yes, but neither was Go supported there as well. So, why not Rust then. It's implemented in LLVM now, but nothing stops other compilers to be created for it.
                    GCC has had Go for a long time now; just not enabled by default up to now.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X