Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.0, 3.4, 3.10, 3.12 AMD Kernel Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 3.0, 3.4, 3.10, 3.12 AMD Kernel Benchmarks

How does the Linux kernel performance compare if simply bouncing between some of the recent long-term kernel releases? Well, to try to answer that question on Phoronix today we have benchmarks of the Linux 3.0.101, 3.4.68, 3.10.18, and 3.12.0 kernel releases tested from an AMD Opteron system with Radeon graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So in conclusion, it can be said that, except rare exceptions, Linux dev team has succeeded to squeeze several new features and bug fixes while keeping the performance relatively stable.

IMO, that is an excellent deal.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmark. However, I noticed that there used to be MIN/MAX FPS on game benchmarks but this is no longer the case, it would be nice if we saw them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Thanks for the benchmark. However, I noticed that there used to be MIN/MAX FPS on game benchmarks but this is no longer the case, it would be nice if we saw them back.
        They're there, nothing has changed, it all depends upon the specific test profiles as whether min/max information can be obtained.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          They're there, nothing has changed, it all depends upon the specific test profiles as whether min/max information can be obtained.
          I don't think min/max is representative of the experience someone might have when playing the game using the given kernel/drivers. I think a better alternative would be to show the 1st and 3rd quartiles (or, really, just use box plots instead of bar charts).

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
            I think a better alternative would be to show the 1st and 3rd quartiles (or, really, just use box plots instead of bar charts).
            Not many games/engines expose enough for min/max let alone enough to do quartiles or box plots of the data.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I may be missing something, but why would you use 3 different configurations for the hard drives when doing a benchmark?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the same configuration for all kernels? (and then if you wanted, have one kernel with the different configurations on a different article...)

Comment

More features, less bugs and about the same performance. Kernel developers rocks!
                Thanks for the benchs Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Not many games/engines expose enough for min/max let alone enough to do quartiles or box plots of the data.
                  Oi Michael, there's a way to get frame times for all GL games you know And all the stats that can be gathered from that then.

Comment

Working...
                  X