Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 290 Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290 Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Last week AMD released the Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics card. The R9 290 is a cut-down R9 290X and sells for just $399 USD. Here are the first Linux benchmarks of the AMD R9 290 using Ubuntu 13.10!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This site is the ONLY I have disabled adblock both on FF and Chrome. You deserve it.

I hope next purchase would be some of the L4D2, HL2 and Metro Last Night for benchmarking.

Comment

Could someone explain the new numbering scheme on AMD cards and how they relate to radeon drivers. Please without going into the whole island thing.

ie.
      R9----->RadeonSI
      R7----->????????

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Could someone explain the new numbering scheme on AMD cards and how they relate to radeon drivers. Please without going into the whole island thing.

ie.
        R9----->RadeonSI
        R7----->????????
        Well no. The R9 290 and 290X will need a modified radeonsi, they have the new hardware, but the other R9 are much closer to the 7000 series.
        The R7s seems to be close to radeonsi aswell.
        "Radeon R7 260X was announced on September 25, 2013. With a launch price of $139, it is based on the Bonaire XTX chip, a faster iteration of Bonaire XT that the Radeon HD 7790 is based on. It will have 2GB of GDDR5 memory as standard and will also feature TrueAudio, on-chip audio DSP based on Tensilica HiFi EP architecture.[10]"

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          This site is the ONLY I have disabled adblock both on FF and Chrome. You deserve it.

I hope next purchase would be some of the L4D2, HL2 and Metro Last Night for benchmarking.
          Thanks.

I own HL2 & Co from an ATI purchase back in the day.... 9600XT or something. But HL2 doesn't work as good benchmark. As others have said, the Linux version of Metro doesn't even have the benchmarking capabilities that were built into the Windows version....
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            AFAIK all the R7 and R9 cards need radeonsi.
            Test signature

Comment

Looking forward to radeon r9-290 test, good card with very bad reference cooler.

GeForce GTX 760 Ti... Did you sign nda or is it oem card(looks like renamed gtx670), there is no such retail card out there(don't answer in case of speaking nda is usually under nda)?

Comment

Michael, AMD has changed the clocking for this card quite a bit on Windows as well. For Windows, there have been Catalyst 13.11 Beta 8 and 9.2 which changes for the R9 290 clocking and fans, so the Linux driver is a bit behind. The next Linux Catalyst Beta should fix this. Also affects performance.

Comment

why the intel?

...The only benchmarks I have so far were some preliminary Linux tests just ran for reference purposes on an AMD FX-8350 system. The GPUs will be tested on a high-end Core i7 Haswell (or Ivy Bridge Extreme) system for the reviews, but for initial testing yesterday I used Vishera.
                  As I also have an 8350 on a beautiful Sabertooth board I loved to see the benchmark and already compared it to my setup. I plan replacing my current GTS 250 with one of the new series card. So I'm just courius, why the Intel for benchmarking?
                  Lockheed

Comment

Thanks for your dedication to linux testing, even in the face of AMD being difficult. My main desktop machine uses a Radeon 7970, so I appreciate that you continue to test them.

I'm already a subscriber, but I donated an extra $50 today.

Comment

Working...
                    X