Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Phoronix: Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Canonical with their Ubuntu Touch initiative isn't the only project that's failed to deliver as of yet with a successful non-Android Linux tablet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a childish headline. Citing some miserable unsuccessful projects (which not many really knew or cared about) doesn't justify such a claim.

Comment

The KDE Vivaldi tablet is actually having a countdown and launching within a few days it seems. Although I doubt this will be too successful, I think Ubuntu Touch will really be pretty great.

Comment

Ubuntu touch is the only real hope for a non-Android Linux tablet. It is very very hard but you never know.

Comment

Ubuntu Tablet didn't have a single stable release, not even a beta. How could it fail being not-yet-released?!

Comment

What about full windows 8 x86 tablet? You should be able to boot and install any linux distro on those.
            Something like the dell venue 8 pro or the Asus T100.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              The KDE Vivaldi tablet is actually having a countdown and launching within a few days it seems.
              Damn, you are right! Hmm, maybe a new Christmas present for me?

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say -- Gnome3 is, by all reports, a fairly natural fit for tablets (and a better marriage of a "legacy" x86 desktop to a touch interface than Windows 8 is) and I've been eagerly waiting to read some successful reports of someone installing Manjaro or Fedora on the Dell Venue Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  The KDE Vivaldi tablet is actually having a countdown and launching within a few days it seems. Although I doubt this will be too successful, I think Ubuntu Touch will really be pretty great.
                  From the page source:

Code:
                  <!-- p.s. No, it's not the Vivaldi tablet .. however the efforts were not wasted  -->
                  So pretty mysterious. We should know at 5 pm UTC on the 25th.

Comment

Also, it looks like the http://makeplaylive.com/ domain name was re-registered to Aaron Seigo personally on Oct 18th, so whatever is happening is almost certainly plasma active-related. Given that, I would assume either some sort of hardware announcement (tablet or phone), an announcement of an easy way to put plasma active on existing devices (like the cyanogenmod installer or a deal with the Tizen group), or a deal with a manufacturer to make plasma active available as an option (like Samsung or someone else getting fed up with google).

Comment

Working...
                    X