Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Won't Be Powered By Mir

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Won't Be Powered By Mir

A virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit is taking place this week. The event was kicked off again by Jono Bacon and Mark Shuttleworth. During the event a few interesting tidbits of information were learned about Ubuntu Touch and Mir...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news. I can jump from Kubuntu 12.04 to a stable Kubuntu 14.04. No Mir/XMir complexities for Kubuntu for at least 16.04.

Comment

Mark also said that Canonical is in talks with multiple companies about shipping Ubuntu Touch devices.
      Isn't it funny how, according to Shuttleworth, Canonical is always "in talks" with everyone else, but we don't see any results at all from this talks?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
        Good news. I can jump from Kubuntu 12.04 to a stable Kubuntu 14.04. No Mir/XMir complexities for Kubuntu for at least 16.04.
        IIRC, KDE does not support Mir, and they don't plan to. Also I remember something about Kubuntu and the other _ubuntus sticking to Xorg for now, and maybe Wayland later on.

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
          IIRC, KDE does not support Mir, and they don't plan to. Also I remember something about Kubuntu and the other _ubuntus sticking to Xorg for now, and maybe Wayland later on.
          It is still good news for those users that Ubuntu (the flavor) doesn't use something different than what they use, because this means their solution (by now, X.org) will get more testing within the distribution.

Comment

Expected this, but great news anyway. XMir didn't make any sense this way.

Comment

As a steam gamer, I certainly appreciate one more round of stable LTS on the proven Unity7/compix/xorg.

That being said, 14.10 needs to be a 100% Unity8/Mir, because I'm tired of waiting to test the "post-xorg era" display managers.

Comment

Canonical has been blowing a lot of hot air recently. What have the actually delivered on?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  Isn't it funny how, according to Shuttleworth, Canonical is always "in talks" with everyone else, but we don't see any results at all from this talks?
                  He really likes to talk, you should know by now...

Comment

Subscribe to Engadget today: http://goo.gl/FZmRo.This is no ordinary Galaxy Nexus. Instead of Android, it's running a very different Linux-based OS -- the lo...

"We expect devices to ship either in the last quarter of 2013 or the first quarter of 2014."

Yeah right... Ubuntu Touch isn't even capable of the promised convergence, when you plug it into a TV or Monitor with a docking station.

Comment

Working...
                    X