Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sandy Bridge OpenGL Support Lags Behind

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge OpenGL Support Lags Behind

While Intel "Sandy Bridge" graphics hardware is capable of full GL3 support, the open-source Intel Mesa graphics driver is still limiting it to OpenGL 3.1 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

According to this Sandy Bridge only supports 3.1, but according to that Intel dev, it does support up to 3.2, but the drivers are the limiting factor. I seem to recall that in Windows there was also 3.1 only as well.

Comment

As an owner of a Sandy Bridge GPU this saddens me; however, I agree that they should focus their resources on the newer hardware.

Comment

Sadpanda

Comment

Paul has also volunteered to help anyone who wants to try and take a stab at implementing them. They work differently, but it should still be doable.
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Guess its a good thing I moved my one Intel GPU laptop back to Win7 the other day o.O Also kinda pressures me to upgrade my laptop next year, Haswell is such a nice bump for battery life, and Broadwell should be an equally big bump for graphics. Skylake should also be interesting though at the moment there's not enough info to say if it'll be a big graphics, battery life, or cpu performance bump.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              According to this Sandy Bridge only supports 3.1, but according to that Intel dev, it does support up to 3.2, but the drivers are the limiting factor. I seem to recall that in Windows there was also 3.1 only as well.

Yes even on Windows SB supports OpenGL 3.1 only, afaik the hardware can't do 3.3 and higher on Sandy Bridge.

Comment

Thanks Intel, for your second class support to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                  Thanks Intel, for your second class support to linux.
                  You do realize that on Windows, the driver is also limited to OpenGL 3.1...

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                    You do realize that on Windows, the driver is also limited to OpenGL 3.1...
                    Seriously? Then the problem is worse than i thought

Comment

Working...
                    X