Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Rust Language Gets A GCC Compiler Front-End

Phoronix: Mozilla's Rust Language Gets A GCC Compiler Front-End

A Rust language front-end is under development for the GNU Compiler Collection. Rust is Mozilla's programming language under development that's similar to C/++ and aims to be a safe, concurrent practical language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news.

Comment

Rust is a great language, glad to see it's picking up traction. It's a shame D isn't picking up(well, Facebook is replacing its C++ backend with D afaik, which might be great for D.), but Rust seems pretty popular already with a big name behind it.

Comment

Rust? no thanks

Comment

Herron has been working on the "gccrs" branch for a while already and he's been coding this language front-end to better learn the Rust language.
          He wants to better learn a language to writes a compiler.
          I like this guy!

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            Rust is a great language, glad to see it's picking up traction. It's a shame D isn't picking up(well, Facebook is replacing its C++ backend with D afaik, which might be great for D.), but Rust seems pretty popular already with a big name behind it.
            Where did you read about this?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Where did you read about this?
              Andrei Alexandrescu works for facebook now, he's posted about it a few times.

Comment

Andrei Alexandrescu works for facebook now, he's posted about it a few times.
                Well besides being a developer of D he is also a C++ expert.
                Just because he develop D and is employed by Facebook is replacing C++ with D.

Andrei's title seems to be research scientist at Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Well besides being a developer of D he is also a C++ expert.
                  Just because he develop D and is employed by Facebook is replacing C++ with D.

Andrei's title seems to be research scientist at Facebook.
                  He's posted on the dlang forums about how they're replacing the C++ backend at facebook with D.

Comment

He's posted on the dlang forums about how they're replacing the C++ backend at facebook with D.
                    I see.

Sounds pretty weird.
                    D might be a great language and might be better than C, Objective-C and C++, but there aren't so many compilers for it, and those who exist probably not so optimized.
                    C++ have more compilers and they are likely much more optimized.
                    But I don't know.

Pretty interesting someone finally picking up D though.
                    I remember many years ago, D sounded pretty cool, but now there is C++11 and upcoming C++14, so I don't need if there is still as much need for it today.

Comment

Working...
                    X