Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAMMER2 File-System Gets Stabilization Improvements

Phoronix: HAMMER2 File-System Gets Stabilization Improvements

HAMMER2 file-system improvements have landed hot on the heels of the exciting DragonFlyBSD 3.6 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: HAMMER2 File-System Gets Stabilization Improvements

HAMMER2 file-system improvements have landed hot on the heels of the exciting DragonFlyBSD 3.6 release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzNTI
    ok.. this is nice and all, and everyone is entitled to spend their time as they see best; but besides as servers, why put in all the effort to port kms and gallium etc??? why? wouldn't all those dev hours be put to better use if oriented towards improving the OpenGL situation?

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      ok.. this is nice and all, and everyone is entitled to spend their time as they see best; but besides as servers, why put in all the effort to port kms and gallium etc??? why? wouldn't all those dev hours be put to better use if oriented towards improving the OpenGL situation?
      DragonFlyBSD is pretty much entirely about servers and clustering. Very interesting work, and potentially useful, but just about as far from graphics as you can get.

Comment

Well... if you get the new DRM code from 3.11 - 3.13 into the kernel, then you can get some power management improvements for the graphics cards, right?

People generally want as low of power usage in server rooms as they can get, so if you've got an IGP, you might save a few watts.

In my case, I run FreeNAS (FreeBSD based NAS) on my home storage server, and the Radeon 3200 (780g) in the motherboard chipset is still pushing out an ugly non-KMS console. I'm eagerly waiting for the day that I get a KMS console and DPM on that machine.

Comment

will you test it too in next file-system comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
            will you test it too in next file-system comparison?
            I too would be curious to see this.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              Well... if you get the new DRM code from 3.11 - 3.13 into the kernel, then you can get some power management improvements for the graphics cards, right?

People generally want as low of power usage in server rooms as they can get, so if you've got an IGP, you might save a few watts.

In my case, I run FreeNAS (FreeBSD based NAS) on my home storage server, and the Radeon 3200 (780g) in the motherboard chipset is still pushing out an ugly non-KMS console. I'm eagerly waiting for the day that I get a KMS console and DPM on that machine.
              ...ok. But usually in real (as in, server room machines/server motherboards)there are some 2d asics that are pretty much implemented in kms, and in light of the recent article, who would put freebsd with a radeon 290?

Second: As i say, why making all these ports of gallium 3d/mesa? why can't we focus development on one platform, but we have to fork over fork over fork over fork/clone/port? i understand porting from-to windows/macosx... but freebsd? really? it's nice on the server side of things, but that's pretty munch it, and it's been consistently slower than linux. That's all i can think about.
              Last edited by sireangelus; 05 December 2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X