Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager Gets A New Text Interface

Phoronix: NetworkManager Gets A New Text Interface

While NetworkManager already has great integration with the GNOME and KDE desktops and there are command-line interfaces to this open-source network management program, there's now a new curses-based interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's quite a lot of code...

Comment

Man, finally. Setting up systems without a classical DE and NetworkManager (my XBMC HTPC is an example) has always been a PITA, and the available command line tools didn't always work perfectly.

Comment

It can only be better than the gnome interface. I have a dream, that one day, I will be able to refresh the wifi networks as I want, by a button or by F5.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
          Man, finally. Setting up systems without a classical DE and NetworkManager (my XBMC HTPC is an example) has always been a PITA, and the available command line tools didn't always work perfectly.
          Oddly enough, I noticed that xbmc has it's own network manager interface.

As a side note... sure add a command line interface, but don't make it so that you can easily create a bridge for virtualization! That's one thing that still (at least the last time I needed to do it) was a royal pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
            Really? I actually had a few issues with the Fedora 19 and 20's betas where Plasma-nm nor the traditional KDE applet wouldn't work properly but nmcli worked flawlessly. It takes a little while to get nmcli's syntax right but once you do its actually pretty literal and understandable.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by lysbleu View Post
              It can only be better than the gnome interface. I have a dream, that one day, I will be able to refresh the wifi networks as I want, by a button or by F5.
              iwlist scan sadly requires root

Comment

This has been a long time coming.

Comment

Seems to me every time I'd click on the network manager it would refresh the wifi connections. Could be wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                    Oddly enough, I noticed that xbmc has it's own network manager interface.
                    It does, but when I checked, it seemed to work for WiFi only?! Perhaps it was my fault. I remember there being a plugin that wasn't suited for my use case.

Comment

Working...
                    X