Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 1.0 Is Based Upon Debian Wheezy

Phoronix: SteamOS 1.0 Is Based Upon Debian Wheezy

As expected, SteamOS is starting to surface today. Here's the first details!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems to be here: http://repo.steamstatic.com/download/

Comment

That's an encouraging start, a very encouraging one.

What do you mean by "Gnome is hiding behind Steam"? Are you talking here about the entire Gnome Shell, or just some Gnome packages needed by the Steam client?

Comment

BO$$ is gonna be so sad about this.

Comment

This is going to be awesome

A games console is an ideal target for Linux. Let's hope that the system follows the lead of Android as the "mass-market games console".

I am a little concerned about Microsoft starting to bring out their patent lawyers again, though. There's a lot of IP in modern games.

Comment

I'm assuming GNOME is being used for all the DE features like USB mounting, Network Manager etc etc.
            It seems unneccesary for a full on stack of apps though.
            But then again they say it's an actual OS, so maybe Valve has mocked up a custom Gnome Shell thing... Guess we'll know really soon.

Comment

SteamOS FAQ http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...4395741989999/

Please use http://repo.steampowered.com for downloading

repo.steampowered.com goes through the CDN and will spread the load. The steamstatic link people are passing around is not behind a CDN.
              repo.steampowered.com goes through the CDN and will spread the load. The steamstatic link people are passing around is not behind a CDN.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                A games console is an ideal target for Linux. Let's hope that the system follows the lead of Android as the "mass-market games console".
                I hope they don't follow the lead of Android on going to far from upstream. I mean, it's all fine with Valve if they do, but I'll stop caring about them, as their OS will stop benefiting me (it helps me indirectly as long as they work with upstream).

Comment

I'm going to go right ahead just say 'I'm not surprised at all that SteamOS is using Debian'

It made pefect sense to do so. Valve wanted to get away from the hell-hole that is Windows, so why would they use Ubuntu? Canonical are trying to do the exact same thing. That's the business and user-base side of it. Technically, Debian is far better for SteamOS. It's a solid base to start with until the rest of the world catches up with drivers and the graphics and by then Valve could probably choose any distro they wanted. But by then SteamOS will probably be it's own distro anyway. Or, simply support deb, rpm and emerge through an inhouse system similar to OpenSuse's.
                  Hi

Comment

Sigh, why didn't they just setup a tracker and torrent the sucker. Even the CDN is having issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X