Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon DPM Is Now Working Well For New AMD GPUs

Phoronix: Radeon DPM Is Now Working Well For New AMD GPUs

Alex Deucher has improved the Radeon Dynamic Power Management (DPM) open-source driver support so it now works more reliably on newer AMD GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent work. Bad side of it that Linus will not be happy, more patch is coming. RCxxxx will be bigger and bigger.

Thank you Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
      Excellent work. Bad side of it that Linus will not be happy, more patch is coming. RCxxxx will be bigger and bigger.

Thank you Alex.
      o.O ?? The article says it won't land until 3.14. Current -rc is 3.13, whats he gonna be mad about??
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Does this mean the 7000 and 8000 series of AMD cards can be used with the radeon driver for stuff like compositing for your window manager with 3.14? I am considering building a new PC and would like to use AMD graphics with the FOSS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
          Does this mean the 7000 and 8000 series of AMD cards can be used with the radeon driver for stuff like compositing for your window manager with 3.14? I am considering building a new PC and would like to use AMD graphics with the FOSS drivers.
          It looks like those series have had some action, judging by the commit log. I'm planning on getting one of these new Kaveri APUs next year, so with any luck this will be in good shape by then.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            It looks like those series have had some action, judging by the commit log. I'm planning on getting one of these new Kaveri APUs next year, so with any luck this will be in good shape by then.
            Yeah, I'm interested in this archi, too. AND cant wait for the drivers to reach a state everyday tasks will just work with the default kernel drivers. Mmmm, good times.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
              This patch is mainly targeting R9 290/290X.

RadeonSI(open source driver for 7700 and newer cards) can handle desktop composition without a glitch even back to Kernel 3.12,
              Just add radeon.dpm=1 parameter to kernel boot line.

Comment

Meanwhile, the latest rc still crashes my AMD A8-6600K since DPM doesn't work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
                  This patch is mainly targeting R9 290/290X.

RadeonSI(open source driver for 7700 and newer cards) can handle desktop composition without a glitch even back to Kernel 3.12,
                  Just add radeon.dpm=1 parameter to kernel boot line.
                  I can confirm that for HD 7950 - excellent compositing and working DPM since kernel 3.11 - while performance-wise dpm would not even be needed for compositing - is it.
                  gaming performance is also ok with mesa 10.

Comment

Are there any news on UVD1?

Comment

Working...
                    X